The Myth of the Cool Partner

June 25, 2009 by

lt-coolpartner-fullIt’s happened—after a few years and a few thousand billable hours, I’ve finally found him.  Sure, there have been loads of false starts along the way, but I think this time it’s for real: I’ve finally met the worst partner in the entire firm.  At first, I thought the winner might be Russ, the firm’s resident stone-faced robot and reigning Big Firm Savant.  But no.  Then, for obvious reasons involving hidden harnesses and coconut-flavored lube, I thought it could possibly be Ian, our favorite slave-driving Pervert, Esq.  Wrong again.  No, in the past few weeks, the true winner has revealed himself to be a creature far more insidious, more vile: the Cool Partner.  And I’m here to warn you—he’s a type more dangerous than you’ve ever imagined.

As any Big Law victim can tell you, the Cool Partner, like any true predator, takes time to attract and distract his prey before he bares his polished little fangs and goes in for the kill.  He may seduce you at first with hints of an actual personality, an apparent respect for your time, and possibly even a sense of humor.  You’ll marvel at how comfortable you are around him, how energized you feel.  You’ll smile and shake your head in disbelief as you sing his praises to fellow associates who ask why you look sunnier than usual.  You might even find yourself—even just for one brief, indulgent little moment—wondering if you might’ve been wrong all those times you thought this job was nothing but a festering sewer of misery where dreams go to die at the hands of lunatic, unit-holding nerd sadists.  Hell, you might even start waking up happy.

And then reality comes crashing back down.

My first exposure to the lure of the Cool Partner happened as most do—over the phone.  A fifth-year corporate associate named Lauren and I had been staffed on a run-of-the-mill bond offering headed up by Kurt Henson, a forty-something equity partner in the corp fin group whom neither of us had ever met.  From the very first status conference call, we were blown away by just how…well, cool Kurt seemed.  He was more than affable, quick with a few inside jokes, super-responsive and blissfully laid-back.  He apparently had a slew of new-ish kids at home and told us that he tried to work from home as often as he could—and stressed that he had no problem with us doing the same.  And best of all, he really seemed to make an effort to get us out the door as early as possible—which he also took great pains to reiterate at every turn.  As in: “My only goal tonight is to get you guys out of here,” or “I don’t want you two working on the weekend if it can be helped. That’s not how I roll.”

Now, we didn’t realize it at the time, but Lauren and I were already being smacked in the face with a few Canada-sized red flags.  See, one of the hallmarks of the Cool Partner is a pathological need to be liked, which often manifests itself in a few stock routines.  One is the “working from home” bit.  Of course they work from home.  You can’t be a true Cool Partner without being a super-dad-family-man-work-life-balancer-extraordinaire—the most common front for the Cool Partner’s characteristic categorical avoidance of (i) actual work, (ii) the office, and (iii) anyone who might notice the avoidance of (i) and (ii).  What should have been even more telling, though, was Kurt’s “that’s not how I roll” act.  One of the surest signs you’ve got a Cool Partner on your hands is a series of repeated, unsolicited self-assertions of just how not douchey he is.  And, just like when your new girlfriend suddenly blurts out that she’s “never cheated on you, just so you know,” or when some wild-eyed man, say, pushes you into a van filled with hacksaws and severed feet and assures you, “Don’t worry, I’m not going to kill you,” you can pretty much count on being royally screwed from that point forward.

Still, despite the red flags, within only a couple of days, Kurt’s easygoing, über-camaraderie shtick had lulled Lauren and me into trusting submission.  We were loyal fans, willing subjects.  And, more than anything, we couldn’t believe our luck that finally, finally, we were working with someone who felt more like a peer than a Partner.

And then Satan showed up.

After a week of long but sane days getting the bond offering up to speed, Lauren and I steadied ourselves on Friday for a weekend of work.  Turns out, though, there was no need—Kurt called around 7 to tell us that we were free to go; he had just spoken with the client and they weren’t going to have the documents back in our hands until Tuesday at the earliest, so we were off the hook for the weekend. Nice! After a happily unexpected, last-minute night out with a few friends, I got home around midnight, tired but energized by my newfound good work-karma.  I barely noticed when my Blackberry dinged with an email message from Lauren.  Finally, I picked it up, nightcap in hand, and checked the email.  All it said: “We’re fucked.”  Huh?

Just then, my phone rang—my home phone, a number that I’m fairly sure I’ve only ever given out to my doorman and possibly my mother.  Before I could even say hello—

“WHERE ARE YOU?”

“What? I’m—  Kurt?  How did you get this number?”

Decided to take the night off, did we?

“What?  No, um, I’m—  You told us we could go home.”

“No, I didn’t.”

“Um… but you did.  Just a few hours ago— “

“ARE YOU CONTRADICTING ME?!”

It suddenly occurred to me that this might be some sort of Big Law hazing.  A secret joke, maybe?  Because this didn’t sound at all like our Kurt—not cool Uncle Kurt.  Unless Uncle Kurt was somehow…bipolar?

“Um, no.  Kurt, I mean, I’m sorry if there was a miscommunica— “

“I don’t even know what to say to you.  I don’t know how I could’ve been more clear.  Are you stupid?  Are you both stupid?  Is that it?”

Looks like Lauren had been conferenced in to the call before Kurt hunted me down.  She piped up, “Kurt, I think there’s been a…misunderstanding.  You told us to go pencils down until Tuesday, so we went home.  I’m not sure what you want from us.”

“NOT SURE? I wanted the goddamn offering memo turned tonight, that’s what I want from you!”

“But,” Lauren stammered, “you didn’t— “

“Do you know what I’ve been doing for the past two hours, ladies?  I’ve been marking up the offering memo and entering the goddamn changes myself.  I am a partner; I shouldn’t have to be doing that!”

“No, no, you shouldn’t,” Lauren tried, “We can— “

“I AM A PARTNER!” He sounded like he was starting to foam at the mouth.

“Look, Kurt— “

“A PARTNER!  Do you understand that?!”

Oh, we understand it alright. Finally, after a few more minutes of reiterating his job title and raging at us for what basically amounted to the crime of not being psychic, Kurt slammed down the phone, while I sat down and watched the trust and hopes that I’d pinned on him come crashing down around me as it became brutally obvious that we’d been duped.  Despite his warm, shiny façade, Kurt had turned out to be nothing more than your run-of-the-mill, psychopath prick partner—a Big Law wolf in sheep’s clothing.  Deceptively cool clothing.

The next seven or eight days passed by in a round-the-clock haze of pain.  Four out of every five phone calls from Kurt eventually devolved, no matter what the topic, into the same basic script: the mutual realization that Kurt had forgotten to tell us to do something, followed by him screaming “Are you stupid?” then, “Really, are you stupid?!” followed by a protracted sigh and some muttering about how he’d have to make sure to be more clear when dealing with associates prone to such incompetence.  And once a day or so, he’d also make sure to throw at least one of us under the bus in front of the client or opposing counsel for one of his obvious mistakes, just to keep things nice and well-rounded.

But, then, then we’d get that other phone call—that one out of every five. There, we’d get Uncle Kurt back—good ol’ bipolar, recently-back-on-his-meds Uncle Kurt, who, despite having just humiliated us for some reason or another, would open up the call with “My favorite ladies!  What’s the word down there?  Everything cool?”  Um, let’s see:  No.  No, everything’s not “cool,” you schizophrenic lunatic douchebag.  Things are pretty goddamn far from cool. After these calls, I found it best to take a few moments to duck under my desk to rock back and forth in a ball and wonder how I ever allowed this Machiavellian oxymoron on legs to give me hope that this job wasn’t the kind that eventually finds you…rocking backing and forth in a ball under your desk.

And see, friends, there you have the beauty—and the mystery—of the Cool Partner: Even after they’ve broken you, you’re still never quite sure if they actually buy their own hype.  Maybe, just maybe, Cool Partners are insane enough to think that they’re just decent guys, men of the people who stand out from the archetype of the stiff, paternalistic Big Law partner.  Maybe their charm offensive isn’t just a thinly veiled attempt to draw you closer only for purposes of more effectively tearing you to shreds.  Maybe “Cool Partner” is really just another term for “borderline personality disorder”—and Kurt and his ilk should have our pity rather than our boiling disdain.

Then again, maybe not.  Because at the end of the day, when it comes to the myth of the Cool Partner, take it from one who’s been there: The only thing we’ll ever know for sure is that “cool” doesn’t have a damn thing to do with it.

An excerpt of this essay is also being published today on everyone’s favorite legal tabloid, Above the Law.  Make sure to check it out here!

Comments

45 Responses to “The Myth of the Cool Partner”

1. DipDill on June 25th, 2009 6:31 am

How sad that we learn of another male partner who is an ass. I work with a few of these too, and even a “woman” partner (using that term in the technical sense, only). They are cool until they get pissed off for reasons known only to them.

Since the Legal Tease tells an excellent story, I offer my own remedy. Each day this happens, I prescribe a great night in the sack for her with a real man to make her forget her troubles, if only for 12 hours. That should get her through the next day. I think this is a prescription that would work for all straight female associates.

2. Anonymous on June 25th, 2009 9:16 am

Wow . . . I feel like I’ve worked for Uncle Kurt’s litigator brother. Dead on, and so true. The “cool” ones are always, ALWAYS the worst. Give me an upfront douchebag over a “pretend to be my friend” douchebag any day. At least it is less akward when you know from the start what someone is.

3. Jz. on June 25th, 2009 9:16 am

This is classic. Someone give this poor lady a break. But sadly Kurt sounds like 99.9% of every dickbag partner I’ve seen around the office. Good luck getting out, LT.

4. Chris on June 25th, 2009 9:23 am

At what point do you roll the dice and tell your boss to go fuck themselves? I know it’s a down economy and lawyers are a bunch of puss… I mean, “risk-averse,” but does that mean we all need to turn into masochists? Maybe it does– still pathetic though.

5. margh on June 25th, 2009 9:27 am

anyone know what LT looks like

6. Nick on June 25th, 2009 9:32 am

You need to stand up for yourself more, fear of layoffs or not. No one respects the pushover.

7. Anonymous on June 25th, 2009 9:34 am

Oh my god, this described to a TEE *two* partners I have the bad fortune to have to work for almost every single day. One’s barely older than I am and the ‘cool’ thing almost makes sense, but the other is old old old, tries to be cool and just makes the whole thing even more offensive.

Thanks for the story, very entertaining and true. At least I know I’m not alone!

8. Anonymous on June 25th, 2009 9:38 am

Seriously, why don’t you just quit and get on with your life, can you not see your wasting every precioius day of your life at this mockery of an existence. You’d be more happy poor and under a bridge somewhere.

9. Southern Lawyer on June 25th, 2009 9:40 am

This is usually the point where I tell you I hate your job…but to be honest…Uncle Kurt is three doors down and if you mix “cool” with inexplicable incompetence and possible mild retardation…then yeah…that’s my life too.

10. Sucks to me you on June 25th, 2009 9:49 am

Work in IP — very few partners are as bad as the ones you have described.

11. GQITGUY on June 25th, 2009 9:54 am

You can love on a dog 6 days a week;and beat it on day 7, eventually, even the dog would run away.

12. David B on June 25th, 2009 10:18 am

I worked for a female version of this partner when I was a junior associate. She would scream at associates, staff, fellow partners, clients, and even examiners at the patent office. I’ve been in the room when she’s done that, and she did it to me all the time. My wife (then live-in girlfriend) would see me come home emotionally damaged.

Someone at the firm suggested I go to a counselor to learn techniques/tricks/tips for working with this kind of a partner. The counselor had lots of useful suggestions. But I asked him what kind of person stays working with this kind of partner, and what kind of person just up and leaves. He said that, if you’re tied to the area, and there’s no other job prospect in the area, use the tips/tricks/techniques and make the best of it. Pretty much everyone else leaves. I had an opportunity to leave, and jumped at it. My wife was upset that we had to move to another state, but on balance, happy that I was happier at work.

Fast-forward 10 years, and I now try to be the cool partner. I don’t yell at anyone. If someone makes a mistake, I call them into the office, behind closed doors, go over the mistake, and show them how I’ve fixed it. I mentor my associates, taking a lot of unbillable time to try and make them better attorneys. I show them how I’ve made mistakes in the past and how to avoid them. I tell summer associates how to play the game and get an offer. It probably takes me around 300 hours a year to practice this way, which hurt last year when workloads were able to support my typical crazy work schedule (now I have all the time I need to mentor associates).

I strive to be the partner that people actually want to work with, rather than the one they have to work with. I was so scarred, emotionally, by my experience with the A-hole partner, that I refuse to do that to anyone else.

I just left a humongous firm for a smaller firm, where I was chastised for having this approach, and cautioned that the only appropriate dialogue with others was to briefly mention baseball stats, have conversations that were no longer than one minute in length, and to avoid mentioning anything at all in my personal life (I’m not kidding, this came from a senior partner, right down to the baseball stats quote). At the smaller firm, I have more liberty to be myself, and enjoy hearing about my paralegal’s husband’s hobby, about my colleagues kids ball games, about coaching schedules, and about other aspects of life outside of the office.

Just remember that the A-hole partner is NOTHING outside of his little kingdom at work – this is all he has, and he probably goes home to a wife that beats on him. If he had a life outside of the office, maybe he wouldn’t need to be lord and master while he was in the office. Feel sorry for the bastard, but first chance you get, find a way to leave the firm, or stop working for him. I did, and it was the best thing I ever did. And don’t forget how you were treated when you make partner – unfortunately, it’s the first thing most partners do.

13. Eileen DeBonis on June 25th, 2009 10:30 am

If I were at this firm, I would file a discrimination charge, and would only settle the case if the firm agreed to put this partner’s wee-wee in a pencil sharpener and turn it 9x.

There is no excuse for an ass like this. Men are ALWAYS trying to subjugate us, because we are women. It is rare to find a woman who’s such an ass (though some exist).

This man needs a big lesson, and I would love to give it to him.

14. cdm57_2000 on June 25th, 2009 11:03 am

There is no relationship where such abuse should be tolerated. If it were a spouse, friend or client, you’d tell them to get lost. The fact that the person writes your check (or partially funds your check) does not change the dynamic. People like this are a cancer on the profession and should be counseled. We as lawyers need to take responsibility for the broken personalities in our profession and either fix them or drive them out.

15. Escaped Lawyer on June 25th, 2009 11:29 am

“Work in IP — very few partners are as bad as the ones you have described.”

You obviously have never worked at Kenyon & Kenyon.

16. The Bomb on June 25th, 2009 11:29 am

So, somehow this type of behavior is discrimination? Where does the article say he doesn’t do this to male associates? Pipe down Eileen and sit in a corner. I think you need a feminista timeout.

17. And... on June 25th, 2009 11:36 am

This act by the “cool partner” is just that: an act. He is well aware of how he is acting; he does everything purposefully & is in control.

18. Catnip on June 25th, 2009 12:11 pm

This is so dead-on it’s frightening. There’s at least one person like this on every Biglaw floor – a psychotard wearing a Ned Flanders mask. He’s a work-avoidant leach who somehow manages to slither his way past a firm’s partnership screening process. He suffers from chronic denial about his fundamental lack of talent and/or competence. His best developed skills are fudging his hours and taking credit for other people’s work. Of course, if a senior partner or client hates what you did, you can count on him to forget that he specifically instructed you to do it that way. He sees no need to control his outbursts of inexplicable anger at junior attorneys. He often abuses associates who have been working for 72 consecutive hours; meanwhile, his office is ALWAYS dark by six – as it was even before the advent of remote desktop access.

I spent four years working for one of these … well, I don’t think “pricks” is quite strong enough a word. His favorite game was letting me pull a triple all-nighter to meet some impossible “hard” deadline, and then, and THEN, getting a two-week extension, which time he consumed picking over my work product at his leisure, making unnecessary edits, and then saving the whole thing under a new document number in the firm’s database, for no other readily-apparent reason than to erase the evidence that I – and not him – had done the actual work.

I wish I knew why the Old White Guys who run Biglaw are so often taken in by this dude. The only explanation I can come up with is this: said OWGs are a bunch of simplicios who, by a lucky accident of birth, arrived on the legal scene at a time in which the competition for attorney jobs and promotions wasn’t stiff, but who, if they had to compete as associates now, would be absolutely f—d.

19. Guano on June 25th, 2009 12:25 pm

I don’t think she would have this problem if she was banging the partner. You see, I have solution for the problem.

20. mattt on June 25th, 2009 12:27 pm

Not sure where you work, but you really shouldn’t tolerate this kind of behavior. I’m not suggestion you quit; that’s just unrealistic in this kind of job market. But I assume you have a department head or an associate’s committee or firm assigned mentor or some other person at the partner level whose job is it is to mitigate the impact of this kind of abuse. You should seek that person out. Because this is abuse, plain and simple. He crossed a line when he insisted he didn’t tell you something that he plainly told you, and then crossed the next line when he called you stupid.

21. David on June 25th, 2009 12:40 pm

If you have a partner who thinks you’re an idiot anyway (notwithstanding prior seeming “coolness”), then maybe after the immediate crisis is past one of those CYA e-mails that’s assertive but diplomatic, “there was an unfortunate breakdown in communication and misunderstanding recently, I’d like to discuss how to avoid this in future” or whatever.

That aside, I don’t work in anything like this area but a comment to the effect of “the clients will get the documents back to us Tuesday” suggests that everything including memo should be done and sent to the client, and that’s where an associate who was up to speed on the file should have checked with the partner. You’re not a child, you’re still an associate, and if you notice something or realize something maybe should be done, just because you want the weekend off, you still have an obligation to the client and the firm to point it out.

22. maranara on June 25th, 2009 1:42 pm

Um, perhaps you should do some research before throwing around words like “bi-polar”, “schizophrenia”, and “borderline personality disorder”. Out of the three you use, at least 2 are completely inappropriate for the character you described. And by using these terms in such a way, you are inadvertently shaming people who do actually have those disorders.

23. El on June 25th, 2009 1:50 pm

I find it interesting that the overall type of the Cool Partner is fully a “he” and that the Legal Tease didn’t even attempt to make it gender-neutral. Perhaps it was just a writing-style convention, but I also wonder if it was intentional. I’ve never run across a female “Cool Partner” but I’m sure they’re out there.

24. anony on June 25th, 2009 1:55 pm

I love the people who suggest that LT “stand up” to this douche, stop being a “pushover”, quit, etc. Have you people ever worked anywhere lately, or in a law firm? There are no jobs. You can take a stand all you want and then get fired. Gimme a break.

If I was you, I’d stay hiding under my desk as long as possible. (Love the “rocking back and forth in a ball” image, btw. Funny stuff.)

25. margh on June 25th, 2009 3:00 pm

WHERE ARE LEGAL TEASE PICS

26. Anonymous on June 25th, 2009 3:36 pm

maranara @ 1.42 = bi-polar

27. Southern Lawyer on June 25th, 2009 4:00 pm

I don’t know about this whole “no such thing as the female ‘cool partner’” but I can say this: it has been my experience that many of the successful female attorneys I have come across are some of the rudest, most caustic, and overtly offensive attorneys I have ever had the displeasure of working for.

Now, I am sure that will get Eileen all pissed off, but hey…what doesn’t? The fact is that in litigation, attorneys think that the only way to earn respect is through intimidation. I find this is sometimes worse with women attorneys.

Frankly, where I work if you’re a female associate you are treated far better by the male partners than the other way around. This is not to suggest male attorneys are any better. They suck too. Rather, this is just an observation I’ve made over the last few years.

28. Alex Hump on June 25th, 2009 4:00 pm

You are getting the shit end of the stick with this fellow, but given the job market situation, as long as you keep bringing home mucho dinero, this is the cost of gainful employment. Hang in there and go home and find other outlets that will validate your worth. This asswipe is worthless.

29. El on June 25th, 2009 7:47 pm

Southern Lawyer, I hate to agree with you (well, not *you* personally, but just with the comment itself), but I totally agree with you. I think it might be a generational thing, though — that women coming up in firms 10–15 years ago had to fight harder to be as hard-ass and brutal as the boys to get ahead, and now we’re left with these bitter women partners. I’m not a litigator, but the women I’ve encountered in finance are just as bad as the guys, sometimes even worse. It’s sad, but true.

(And for all the trolls, yes, I’m really a woman. I’m not selling out my gender, it’s just how things are as I see them.)

30. Wing Fat on June 26th, 2009 6:20 am

Why this El she woman? Wing say El say not troll? Troll mean ugly, so who know troll if El troll? If El woman, so Wing respect El. If El is lawyer, Wing want to see picuture of El. El, show face book picuture please.

31. Nick on June 26th, 2009 10:34 am

Anony – Yes, I have worked in a big law firm, as recently as the beginning of this month (before transitioning into a better career). I would never have let anyone talk to me that way, recession or not. And I think that is some of the reason that I was very highly regarded at my firm.

32. SouthernLawyer-ette on June 26th, 2009 10:52 am

I haven’t worked for Kurt in the law yet, but in finance, his name was Uncle Dan. He was from Philadelphia. I still can’t return to that city.

El, I found the women to just be cold and calculating. They never had the cool moments. Maybe I’m just lucky.

33. Happy on June 26th, 2009 11:27 am

I had a partner like this. In January, I said Fk off. He needed me so bad he let me work part time from home til I found a MUCH better job 2 months later. Quit, it’s not worth it to stay.

34. Newbie on June 26th, 2009 5:13 pm

I have had personal experience with people like your Kurt as well. He’s insecure, so he tries to be liked, but when something goes sideways he needs someone to blame besides himself. At this point their head begins to spin and you wish for a practiced priest with a young protege or a pacemaker.

Blaming himself would mean taking responsibility for a mistake and that’s just not possible due to aforementioned insecurity. Listening to methods for dealing with these people is like practicing duck-an-cover for a nuclear fallout. Just avoid them.

35. inn the know on June 26th, 2009 6:51 pm

Everyone should do what scorpion character did at Sutheralnd when she encountered the partner from hell.. Sleep with him, maybe even have his bady, and hold the sword over h his head when he is under pressure and get his ass kicked out of the firm and take his business. Don’t be a hater, be a player.

36. Anonymous on June 26th, 2009 7:10 pm

Inn the know — sorry, wha? I don’t get it. What’s Sutherland…?

37. inn the know on June 27th, 2009 8:19 am

Sutherland is a law firm in ATL. Apparently, there was a partner there who slept with everybody and anybody, but was the grand pooh bah and no one every stopped him. He had some kind of personal issue and they pushed him out, and kept all the business. Then his little close knit group of associates and partners all found out he had a years long affair with one of them and they all turned on each other. She made out like a bandit though.
    There are about 800 posts on a thread that started out about King and Spalding on Above the Law about the whole sorted mess. It would make a great book.

38. Li Yuan on June 27th, 2009 2:44 pm

So much scandal about one man who inserts his manhood inside a willing female? In my country, this is de rigeur; it happens all of the time and never is newsworthy. If it were, the paper would consist only of this issue.

39. inn the know on June 28th, 2009 11:15 am

Apparently it’s more complicated than the insertion of manhood. Other partners cut her slack to make room for her as a partner, not knowing the reason was because she was banging the head partner. No one cares about inserting manhood in a willing female, Li Yuan. It’s about duping partners and clients to get away with banging each other.

40. Noway on June 29th, 2009 7:18 am

“No one cares about inserting manhood in a willing female, Li Yuan. It’s about duping partners and clients to get away with banging each other.”

No one cares about the latter, either. If you promise to keep their money coming, partners will put scared children in a cattle car bound for Auschwitz.

41. Andy on June 29th, 2009 8:32 am

WTF? Partners are like Nazi’s now? Partners deserve a little fun; after all, they, as GP’s have unlimited liability if the firm F***’s up. Therefore, a little wanking should be permissible.

42. Brandon on July 2nd, 2009 2:35 pm

Enable microphone on blackberry at all times. Record. Choose the worst rant. Send to HR.

43. Tenrou Ugetsu on July 7th, 2009 7:11 pm

Lawyers get such a bad rap. This articles a good eye opener for people not familiar with the legal world. We definitely need this, the last time I saw a piece like this was on this blog: http://lawblog.legalmatch.com/2009/06/18/trusting-americas-lawyers/

44. Catnip on July 11th, 2009 1:02 pm

Wow – my experience is so different from some of y’alls. At my old firm, in the midwest, women almost never made partner unless they were easy to get along with. For men, on the other hand, being hard to get along with seemed to be practically a requirement for partnership. And the nicer male partners never seemed to have as much power as the a-holes. The more of a prick you were, the more likely you were to head an important department or committee.

45. Michael ESQ on October 8th, 2010 1:29 pm

I had a similar experience when I got hired into Big Law straight out of law school. Luckily for me, I come from a rich family and told the prick that he may be the big man inside of the office, but once he stepped outside those doors, his Mercedes E-class, ugly, fat ass could kiss my good looking Ferrari driving ass.

Felt great. Now I work at a studio and laugh every day when I think back.