Is a Nose Ring an Interview Dealbreaker?

July 27, 2009 by

advice-nose-ring-featureQ:  I’m about to start my second year at law school (T20) and will be participating in fall OCI and am hoping to land a job at a big law firm for next summer (I know, don’t shred me for that, please).  My school offers “mock interviews” with alumni and I just went on mine.  The interviewer was pretty nice but suggested that I remove the very, very small nose ring stud that I wear.  I actually dress pretty conservatively and looked professional for the interview—skirt suit, hair neatly tied back, sensible shoes and all that.  I don’t think the nose ring is offensive and it’s part of my style and who I am.  I don’t ever take it out and don’t think I should have to compromise my principles and who I am just to get a job.  BUT, I also want to get experience working in a big firm and I worry that it might stop me from getting through the door, as stupid as that may be.  Will firms really care about this in interviews or is my mock interviewer just an uptight big-firm prick?

A: Hm. The question seems to be less about whether your mock interviewer is an uptight big-firm prick (and chances are, he is, but that has nothing to do with nose rings) and more about whether you’re suited to work in Big Law in the first place. Why do you even want to work there? Because I hate to break it to you, but Big Law’s a pretty uptight place—the kind of place where wearing jeans is cause for a firm-wide meeting. Nose rings don’t even make the agenda. And if you think that people who disapprove of nose rings (i.e. 99.9% of the people who work in Big Law) are pricks, why do you want their approval in the first place?

Because here’s the thing: If there’s one thing that working in Big Law requires, it’s compromising who you are for the job—well, unless who you are happens to be a person with no edge, humor, personality, joie de vivre or desire to have a social life. Now, don’t get me wrong, it’s admirable that you don’t want to compromise your staunch principles just for this job. But what “principles” are we dealing with here, exactly? The ones that involve equal rights for fans of decorative body jewelry? We’re not debating ethnic cleansing or genital mutilation here, cookie. We’re debating a crusty metal chip stuck in your nose. (And speaking of which, I’d be remiss if I didn’t give you a heads up that the pretty-girl-with-an-ironic-nose-ring look may have worked to boost your cool factor in college, but when you’re an actual grown-up, wearing a nose ring with a suit doesn’t make you look unique and edgy; it makes you look a poser from the suburbs who’s still trying to piss off Mommy and Daddy but didn’t want to commit to a tattoo.  Just sayin’.)

So, if you really want to have a shot at Big Law, just play the game and take the goddamn ring out of your nose. An hour without it won’t kill you or erase your finely honed sense of self. Because you’re right—you shouldn’t have to compromise who you are to get a job. You also shouldn’t have to, say, be nice to your in-laws on Thanksgiving or give your BF a BJ just ’cause it’s his birthday. Sometimes, though, you have to do something you’re not thrilled about for the sake of your own personal greater good. Just make sure that greater good is something you want in the first place.

Good luck!

Need advice? Email our Sweet Hot Counsel at counsel@sweethotjustice.com.

Comments

85 Responses to “Is a Nose Ring an Interview Dealbreaker?”

1. AD Chimpunkski on July 27th, 2009 6:53 am

Take the friggin ring out of your nose. Beeotch. If you want to play in the big law sandbox, you can’t be a freak. Besides, no one will want to have a real relationship with anyone with a friggin nose ring. You will only be good for a quick lay, but probably with a paper bag over your head. Lose your friggin principles and if you don’t like it, keep your nose ring in and wind up getting hosed. What a dopey broad. Like we want a broad with a nose ring? We don’t need you anyway. There are plenty of broads that are willing to put out to get a job w/o a friggin nose ring. Puh-leezze!

2. El on July 27th, 2009 9:29 am

Give me a break. A nose ring? It doesn’t matter if it’s “very, very small”. It shows a fundamental misunderstanding of what’s required/expected in a certain type of job. And news to the asker, if a very very small nose stud defines you, then you’re a pretty empty person. Booooo.

3. Southern Lawyer on July 27th, 2009 9:32 am

Brilliant! Dude, take it out…besides, BFW is right…how are you “compromising your principles” by taking out a nose ring? I would hope that you have a stronger sense of self than that.

4. Anonymous on July 27th, 2009 10:11 am

It’s pretty clear that the change that should be made is in the career path, not the nose ring. Anyone stupid enough to have to ask this question, fraught with concern about compromising principles, is clearly not fit for BigLaw. Good luck at Starbucks!

5. Anonymous on July 27th, 2009 11:17 am

Has anyone considered that the ring may have religious significance before rushing to judge the student? If this ring was part of her cultural identity or heritage, would we be having the same reaction?

6. Anonymous on July 27th, 2009 11:22 am

She just said it was part of her style, not part of her culture. Besides, in the cultures where women do get their noses pierced, they usually aren’t working outside of the home (especially in BL!).

7. El on July 27th, 2009 11:48 am

Anonymous @11.17 — Calm down and learn to read. The poster said nothing about religion, just said it was “part of my style.”

8. Anonymous on July 27th, 2009 12:06 pm

Take the nose ring out or go work for legal aid where you will not have to compromise your principles. The mock interviewer was doing you a major favor and you still don’t want to take the advice? Seems to me you are not cut out for Big Law.

9. Eileen DeBonis on July 27th, 2009 1:56 pm

Yes, do not keep the nose ring. You will be thought of as some kind of loose slut, which is NOT what you want to be thought of. Men always look to find a reason to lower us, and if you wear this, you will give them reason to lower us, treating us not as the professionals that we are.

Think about going to an Al Anon meeting where you will learn the value of self, and not to have to wear jewelery like this in order to feel good about yourself.

10. Guano on July 27th, 2009 1:59 pm

I disagree. In my country, women with nose rings are viewed as taken by a man, not as sexy. It is difficult to comprehend why one would want to make a move on a woman wearing a nose ring. I therefore recommend that the woman keep the nose ring in if she wants to uphold the ideals that she is true to her man.

11. Southern Lawyer on July 27th, 2009 2:21 pm

Anonymous @11.17
    Hey, she asked the question!! Don’t ask if you’re too sensitive to hear the answer. I don’t care if it IS religious. Bias exists in all forms..is it right? Hell, no…but, it exists. Sometimes, you just have to play the game (if that’s what you want, of course).

Guano @ 1:59 pm

That’s really nice. …..In THIS country it doesn’t mean shit, beyond the fact that you think it looks “super cool” and gives you that subdued edgy look and feel.

12. El on July 27th, 2009 3:44 pm

Agree with the Southern Lawyer — Guano’s comment, though oh so enlightening, is totally irrelevant and absurd. Go figure.

And Eileen, in what universe do you live, girl, where a nose ring is considered a sign of a “loose slut”?? An “unwashed, wannabe edgy poser” maybe, but slut seems to have nothing to do with it.

13. Eileen DeBonis on July 27th, 2009 4:58 pm

El, as a woman, you should understand that men will take any excuse to sublimate us. Wearing noserings, studs or any other flashy type of jewelery is a virtual invitation for a man to think he can get something off of us, as men view such women as cheap (i.e. sluts). I knew 3 girls in high school with extra jewelery that they used on their noses and ears, and they had the loosest reputations. My little brother claimed to have had sex with all 3 of them, and he wasn’t even considered cool in high school. So based on my experience, I would never recommend a woman wearing such jewelery, and if you are one of those who do, please understand I am not judging you, just advising you that you will never be able to marry a man who looks at you as an easy mark. OK?

14. Anonymous on July 27th, 2009 8:07 pm

Back in the day, I was a paralegal at Cravath. One day, some partner’s friend’s kid came in for a paralegal interview. He was from Skidmore, (not a bad school at all), but definitely not part of CSM’s normal pool.

Normally, CSM would set up a series of interviews over a few hours. Well, this kid, who happened to be caucasian, had a set of dreadlocks that would make any Marley family member jealous.

He was sent packing straightaway after the meet and greet. I imagine that a nose ring, no matter how tasteful, unless it was clearly “ethnic/religious” would get exactly the same frosty reaction.

15. Debra on July 28th, 2009 6:26 am

A man should not move in on a woman who is legally or morally attached to another man, and a woman who is legally or morally attached should not make herself available to a man while she is attached to another man. Any other behavior would be amoral. There are so many men these days that just want to have easy sex without commitment. That is wrong.

16. Jz. on July 28th, 2009 8:43 am

Debra — point? What does that have to do with anything you see on your little screen? I think you’re looking for a different post.

17. Mitch on July 28th, 2009 9:27 am

I say wear it, and suggest during the interview that if anyone believes they have a problem with it, you will file suit against them under the ADA. Should help you stand out in the interview process.

18. Debra on July 28th, 2009 10:19 am

I will not have sex with a man unless it is going to lead to marriage. That is why I wrote what I wrote. Too many men just want a quick lay, but it won’t be me. When I find the man I am to marry, I will be able to have sex with him without restriction. It is also the legally right thing to do.

19. Everyone on July 28th, 2009 10:55 am

Dear Debra,

Please shut up.

Yours,
    Everyone

20. Debra on July 28th, 2009 1:44 pm

Look, “Everyone” guess what, everyone doesn’t think like you. You are obviously of the type that is looking for the quickie, leaving women like me to clean up after you and having nothing else to show for it. So I am not going to be going to that party, fella. I have my own standards, and it does NOT include having some slob like you huffing and puffing away and then burping and rolling over. Not me, Mr. Needle dick. None for me.

21. Everyone on July 28th, 2009 2:43 pm

Actually, I’m a girl. And I still speak for Everyone.

22. Debra on July 28th, 2009 3:03 pm

So you are the type of girl that will just go home with any guy, knowing that all he is interested in is having meaningless sex with you, and that you are anxious to have such meaningless sex then have him walk away? I can’t believe you would be so loose. And are you a lawyer? OMG!

23. Everyone else on July 29th, 2009 11:04 am

Debra,
    Please listen to everyone.

24. Anonymous on July 29th, 2009 12:07 pm

This is actually hilarious.

25. Debra on July 29th, 2009 1:18 pm

You are fooling with me. But I do have scrupules, and that, for everyone’s benefit, is to restrict my own personal activities that I may elect to engage in with a man. I am a religous person, but that is not why I have scrupules. With all of the STD’s going around these days, the last thing I want to tell my husband to be (when I do locate such a person) is that I have some disease that I could only get if I were loose wth men. Things like Chlamedia, herpes, crabs or worse yet, Ghonorrea or Syphillis can ONLY be caught from sexual contact, not from bathroom seats. It is sad that I know more than a few collegues that, in a momentary lapse, have wound up with these diseases, which they caught from so-called honorable men. Well they were not so honorable because they obviously had dipped their beaks with others who were not clean. Now my collegues are infected and it will be very difficult to find a mate that will accept them for their miscues.

With this in mind, I prefer to be clean and pure, and would think other women are smart enough to refrain from quick and easy sex with some guys they meet up with in the summer, when everyone is wearing little clothing.

26. Eileen DeBonis on July 30th, 2009 5:15 am

I agree with Debra. Women must remember that their reputations are important, and once you start sleeping with a man, he will no longer respect you if he does not love you enough to want to marry you. Sleeping around makes it worse. Women must remember that men must think of us as equals, and they won’t if all we do is provide them with sexual inputs. That is elementary.

More importantly, women don’t age as well as men, so if you don’t marry by the time youre 38 or so, you can pretty much refocus your life around something other than marriage with a family.

The toughest words I ever heard (not directed at me), was a comment directed at a friend of a cousin who was a lawyer, had just turned 40 and had about 10 lovers over the years and was still single. He said it was bad enough being a whore, but there was nothing worse than an old whore.

That taught me the lesson Debra is trying to say, though she is not that articulate in doing so. Keep your knees together, girls, unless the man has some intent to marry you.

27. Guano on July 30th, 2009 2:36 pm

I think I would not want a woman who has been deflowered multiple times. It is important to me to have a woman who is supple, yet true to me and will not be comparing various male apparatus. By the same token, through selective type casting, I think a man should be able to find from the sampling the “type” of woman he will be compatible with and then select from the group of supple and available women who will appreciate him for what he brings to the marriage.

28. anonymal on July 31st, 2009 2:30 pm

I love how this thread went from “no nose ring” to supple women and comparing male organs.

Oh how I love thee Internets.

29. Huh? on July 31st, 2009 3:21 pm

Agree with above — the comments on this one make no sense to me, but to bring it back to reality, PLEASE LORD NO NOSE RINGS AT INTERVIEWS!!! I mean, come on! You’re not interviewing for a job at Urban Outfitters for pete’s sake. Learn to walk the walk and save the talking about your high moral principles for the right audience.

30. Redundant on July 31st, 2009 5:49 pm

Is there ANY situation where a nose ring would be acceptable? I’m of an ethnicity for which it seems to be more acceptable (right or wrong), people rarely even notice that it’s there, and I don’t think anyone I’ve known has ever thought of me as slutty (I am conservative otherwise). It doesn’t exactly define my identity, so I will probably just take it out, but I didn’t think it was a big deal.

31. BD on August 2nd, 2009 5:52 am

Women, wearing nose rings make you loose, and when you are loose, you will not be viewed as acceptable, either in the law firm, or in life. No one will want to hire you (or marry you).

32. Dean Anderson on August 2nd, 2009 1:33 pm

Your nose ring is part of “who you are”? My God, how shallow. I am a partner and guess what, if you work at my firm you are never going to meet any of my clients because of “who you are.” Unfair, perhaps. But here is a question for you – how would you feel if your supremely qualified criminal defense attorney showed up on the first day of your trial for a crime you didn’t commit with 15 face piercings and the words “666 The Beast” tattooed on her face. If your answer is that would be fine because that is “who she is” then I respect your consistency but think your are an idiot. If your answer is that you would not want that person representing you then yo are both a hypocrite and an idiot.

33. George on August 3rd, 2009 6:39 am

Dean is right. And no sane white male would marry a female with a nose ring. They look slutty. Females with nose rings turn me off. Why would I date such a person?

34. Anonymous on August 3rd, 2009 6:58 pm

Just to take a different tack … At one of the Magic Circle firms, I worked for two years with a 28-30ish female lawyer with a nose ring, and to my knowledge no one thought the less of her. (Of course I wouldn’t have heard anyway, being a partner.) She was upbeat, professional, thorough and timely as a lawyer, and I had no reluctance to bring her to client meetings. Had I been the person to initially interview her for the job, however, I certainly would have questioned myself whether she was just going into BigLaw to pay off some loans or instead whether she would truly get engaged in the work. In the end it was the latter, and my assumptions during the interview would have been wrong, but if I were the interviewer she likely would not have gotten the job in the first place.

35. Devil's Advocate on August 3rd, 2009 8:09 pm

To provide a different perspective from most (ignoring the ridiculousness!) …Though I cannot comment on the legal profession, I recently graduated from a high-ranking graduate business school and obtained a job with a prestigious Fortune 500 company. I received multiple internship offers and job offers — and I had every single one of those interviews while wearing my nose ring (small, subtle stud.) No one ever mentioned or questioned it. I hope you have similar luck!

36. George on August 4th, 2009 11:27 am

Well, good for you Devil’s Advocate, but trust me, I would never consider you as dating material. I also don’t like tongue studs, for obvious reasons.

37. Anonymous on August 6th, 2009 11:54 am

Great response to a pretty simple question to answer. Which is why I would never work at a big law firm. I’m perfectly content with my 30 person shop, 90K salary, and actual courtroom time. More importantly I like the fact that I have enough to go out, drink too much, and try to get laid

38. Anonymous on August 7th, 2009 12:58 am

I took my very small nose ring out for interview season and got the offer. Problem is, I never put the ring back in – and I don’t know anyone else who did, either. Now I’m at big law with no nose ring paying down my loans and wondering what happened to the part of me that got the piercing – ya know?

I know a partner at a mid-sized firm who kept her nose ring all the way to partnership. Lost a spouse, but kept the nose ring.

I’m afraid there is no simple answer.

39. Anonymous on August 7th, 2009 1:07 am

Why do you want to get experience working at a big firm? There is no intrinsic value to working at a big firm. The value is money. If that is not a motivator, do yourself a favor and choose something else. I do not say that as criticism to big firms, it’s just that ,as a big firm alumnus, I don’t see big firm life as an experience worth pursuing for its own sake. I do see it as a good means of making money, and not a bad way to network. But there are lots of experiences to be had out there – don’t set the bar so low.

40. Guano on August 7th, 2009 6:20 pm

It is a good place to find eligible women, no?

41. Pierced Here on August 10th, 2009 5:25 pm

I got my nose pierced while staffed on a HUGE litigation at a top 5 NYC firm as a paralegal. No one blinked an eye. I’m now in a different field that also requires conservative dress, no one has blinked an eye here either. But mine is a gold stud that blends into my skin — in fact, when I was discussing the ridiculousness of this post with my coworker, she just said “wait, you have a nose ring?”

42. Guano on August 11th, 2009 4:40 am

Well you are not scoring any points with me, sister. IMen do not want to marry a woman with a nose ring. Chances are you are too loose and do other things that are slippery. You must question your own judgement. In any event you are not a lawyer, so I am not interested in marrying you. By your attitude, I would not sleep with you, either.

43. Meghan on August 14th, 2009 8:52 pm

I found this thread through another site, and I just have to give my two cents: I have a nose ring, and I work in the MUSIC INDUSTRY (a relaxed place) and I still do not wear it to interviews. I know that at most places I have interviewed at, it would not matter if I was wearing it or not, but I still think it shows a lack of respect for your interviewer, and I think that there’s no reason to be so upset over someone asking it to be removed for an hour. Like it or not, people judge others on their looks, and I would rather err on the side of safety, and be judged on my resume than have someone be distracted by my nose ring.

44. Guano on August 15th, 2009 8:55 am

You are very smart to lose the nose ring, Meghan. Now if you are very good looking, you may contact me.

45. Anonymous on August 17th, 2009 12:42 am

In my opinion, you need not take ANY advice for someone who refers to a woman as a “broad”. Leave it in and take over the world, I support you.

46. Guano on August 17th, 2009 5:49 am

What is this complaint about “broad”? Is this problem? What does this mean? In my country, men and women both are labeled this.

47. NJ on August 31st, 2009 6:26 pm

Get your clitoris pierced. You can feel even more an individual without suffering the consequences during the interview process. And besides, except for the partners no one will see it.

48. Frank on September 4th, 2009 8:25 am

Awww Debra thanks for such a good laugh! You really got yourself some issues.

I guess you haven’t realized yet that it is women with a mission like yours that remind men of the risks of hiring a woman… some women are just plain bonkers! This potential crazy factor needs special treatment… like not hiring them ;o)

On the actual question itself… I think because the ring is attached to the nose, it just makes the whole thing seem dirty. Personally I find it a bit off putting, no matter how small you still can’t help but think of them shoving their finger up their nose to put it in and take it out.

The ring also makes you wonder why it is there and if this person (like Debra above) is a potential nut job on some personal crusade against whatever. Saying “it’s part of my style and who I am” some what confirms a potential nut job streak in the original poster. Sounds like the beginning of a mini crusade against ..the very guys she expects will be paying her wages. Its all extra risk with very little upside, better to just hire someone without these potential issues.

49. Anonymous on September 11th, 2009 3:21 pm

Silly question. BigLaw is not interested in YOU. BigLaw is interested in how well you will you be seen as a representative of BIGLAW.

Don’t wanna be cookie cutter? Find somewhere else to play, Cookie.

50. Megan on September 28th, 2009 12:57 am

This thread was hilarious. Thanks, everyone!

I am a librarian with two graduate degrees. I also have a small nose piercing. No one I have worked with over the years ever cared about the stud, but I replace it with a small flesh-colored retainer stud for interviews just to be on the safe side.

51. Aunt Ooona on September 28th, 2009 9:32 pm

Megan, you would never be eligible for my nephew Guano. He only can date first class virginal women, and as far as I am concerned, having a nose ring makes you ineligible. Sorry.

52. Anonymous on September 30th, 2009 2:32 pm

hahaha you guys are all hilarious.

There is nothing slutty about having a nose ring, it is widely accepted as being nothing more than jewelry and a fashion statement. In fact, after having your ears pierced, it is the second most popular piercing in the US and has done nothing but continue to gain popularity over the years. It is not viewed in the same light as eye brow piercings, lip piercings, or genital piercings; to females from the ages of 15-25 (the ladies who will soon be entering the work place and taking charge) this particular piercing has become common place.

I have my nose pierced, and I think it looks pretty. The rest of my style is very preppy and conservative, but I happen to like this piercing, and know many many girls who have the same small diamond stud in their nose. It does not mean I am loose. It does not mean I am promiscuous. It means that I think it is pretty, and like it. End of story.

It is obvious that the majority of people who answered you are not from our generation is all. I’m 22, and in my age bracket, having a nose ring (a tiny stud) is very popular and tons of girls have them; they are “in” right now, and are seen as being stylish, not emo or edgy.

I’m actually in school right now for business, and will be graduating this spring with my MBA, so I’m not just some young punk who has no idea what they are talking about. My advice to you: don’t wear the nose ring to the interview just in case, but if you are hired, ask if it would be acceptable to wear at work. I have many friends who did just that, and their employers (large marketing and advertising firms in boston) had no problem with them wearing their nose rings to work because of how small and discreet they are.

To the older generation, wearing nose rings might be seen as slutty or an indicator of being a “loose” woman, but that is not the case anymore. Older generations always look at the actions of the ones following them and feel that the things they do are scandalous and immoral; this is no exception. As our generation gets a little older and our influence starts to become more present in the workplace, you will see nose rings becoming more and more common place in business settings.

So to you I would just say to err on the side of caution, and then see how your potential new employers feel about it after you’re hired. Good luck, you sound like a smart girl, and I’m sure you’ll do well.

To just about everyone else who left you a comment, you guys all need to RELAX. This was a simple question of whether or not to wear a nose ring to an interview. Whether or not you feel women who have nose rings are sluts is COMPLETELY irrelevent to the question that was asked. So lets take it down a notch, shall we? No reason to insult people you don’t know on-line, it’s not good manners. People who live in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones.

As for “everyone else”, at least you have a good sense of humor about all this. It’s such a joke that people got so heated about a topic unrelated to the question that was asked lol.

Take care all, god bless :)

53. Missy C on September 30th, 2009 2:36 pm

Aunt Oona…after the comments you have just made, I don’t think anyone is clamoring to marry your nephew. You sound just like the Class A Nightmare-in-law that most of us try to avoid lol

I know lots of girls with small nose rings who are great people and many without nose rings who are not. And vice versa. You shouldn’t judge a book by it’s cover; read the good book a little harder next time, you seemed to have missed that one ; )

54. Aunt Ooona on September 30th, 2009 3:03 pm

Girls, If I were to promote promiscuity, I would recommend you to my Guano. However, since I do not know where you have been (with or without the nose ring), I cannot recommend you to my Guano, or any other wholesome man from Ghana.

I recommend that you look in the mirror, and pray you can remove the nose ring without damage. Leave it out for a week and note the difference men pay attention to you. If they only look to you for sex when you wear the ring, you will now know why.

While I do not think you can return to your earlier virtue before the nose ring, I pray there are USA gentelman who will give you a second chance and marry you, not just use you for sex.

If anyone disagree with me, let me hear your view on this, as this is issue of morality.

55. Missy C on September 30th, 2009 4:11 pm

All I can say is that while it may be an issue of morality in other places, in the US sexualized behavior is not attributed to nose rings. That may not be how it is in other countries, but in America having or not having a nose ring is not viewed as an indicator of being promiscuous.

56. Missy C on September 30th, 2009 4:13 pm

In the US having a nose ring is just like a necklace or any other jewelry girls wear. It is not seen as having any more importance than any other necklace or pair of earrings a girl might wear.

If it were seen as a slutty thing to do to wear one, I would probably not have one, but in America people do not view it that way.

57. Aunt Ooona on October 1st, 2009 6:04 am

Missy, I may not be the most familiar with US sexual practices, but I have been told that women with body jewelery of any nature other than ear-rings are very likely to engage in sex with men like my Guano, who is interested in sex, but not in marriage with these women. This was the situation when I sent Guano to Europe to study.

You may be an exception to this rule, but in Europe, my Guano spent many a day with women of this nature rather than studying, until I pulled him out of school there and enrolled him. in LLM program in Washington DC. I have had him cleansed and he is now certified as free of all sexual diseases.

Missy C, if you promise to remove your nose ring permanently, I will give you a chance to see if you are worthy to be a wife to my Guano.

58. Jeanine on January 17th, 2010 5:22 pm

NOW I know how George W. Bush was able to throw our Consitution under the bus with nary a cry from the legal community if a law student HAS TO ASK a question about a nose ring. Unbloody believable.

59. Bill on January 17th, 2010 7:41 pm

Jeanine, you need to get laid.

60. Dean Noman on January 17th, 2010 8:38 pm

All I can say is thank god I’m not a lawyer. All the female lawyers sound like Iceburgs and somebody named Bat Crap thinks he can see when a women is supple. Wow, what a profession.

61. Karen Broderson on January 18th, 2010 7:58 am

Here is what I learned in life: female virginity is worshipped when she is young, but if she is above a certain age, say 30, and still a virgin, then to men she is an unskilled clumsy lady who has no idea how to please men in a sexually erotic way. How do I know this? I have a female friend who is 46 and yup, still a friggen virgin! She is pretty and smart and all that, but when I try to set her up with men, they all turn her down saying they don’t think her virginity is that big of a deal to pursuit after and they doubt she will be a skillful lady in a relationship, and this is feedback since she was in her early 30s when i started to try to set her up. Today she is 46 and still with no man….

Ladies, I wouldn’t recommend you all go be a whore but it’s wise to sample a few men to find a man who is willing to please you sexually in the right way. When it comes to enjoying raw animalistic satisfying sex, size of a penis does matter to a certain degree and his willingness to go down on you is unfortunately not found in every man.

Some men stick it in and ejaculate within 10 seconds so it’s over before you are even warmed up, is this what you want to find on your wedding night?

Trust me, there are men who loves to please a woman in bed so it is worth the educated risk to find him. Otherwise, in a sexually unsatisfying marriage people eventually get divorced anyway.

Again, virginity pass a certain age = unskilled, unsophisticated lover.

62. Charlotte on January 18th, 2010 7:26 pm

Nose rings are a no. As are visible tattoos, wildly colored hair, even wild jewelery is out. Law is ultra-conservative and a nose ring just does not fit in with that. Even if you think it’s pretty, even if you think it’s unfair that some people equate it with sluttiness, even if it’s not just part of who you are – it’s who you are – take it out, or don’t get the job.

63. Anonymous on January 19th, 2010 8:18 am

There’s nothing wrong with a small nose ring. What matters most is your inteliigence… can you perform at work, and are presentable enough.

I think p’ple should stop sweating the small stuff, and look at the bigger picture.

Good luck, hope you nail it!

64. anonymous on January 19th, 2010 11:33 am

Boy, are people ever uptight about these things! Experiment – go to one interview with, one without, see how people respond. Do some research – talk with alumni who have worked at each of the firms you are interviewing with, or ask about whether the firm has a formal dress code. Think about what you want out of the job – if a short term experience, take the ring out for the interview and don’t worry about it; if a long term fit, maybe you want to make sure you get a firm that is accepting of these things for your own peace of mind.

I worked for a while with a lawyer with rasta locks that he put into a purple hairnet when he didnt want to scare people. It cost him a few interviews at the start, but the guy who hired him decided that “if he has the nerve to come in to see me like that, he will have the nerve to do a lot of things on the job for me.” Bad economic times create lots of work for lawyers too – it is just that the work is in bankruptcy and insolvency and such. Don’t sweat it.

65. Senior Partner on January 19th, 2010 12:12 pm

There will always be people who feel bodily mutilations, like piercings and tattoos, are offensive.

66. Pierced Atty on January 29th, 2010 5:18 pm

I am a man with a Prince Edward piercing. Is it inappropriate to show it to the hiring partner at Sullivan & Cromwell during my interview, which is scheduled for next Wednesday? Thanks to all for your thoughts.

67. Anonymous on January 29th, 2010 10:36 pm

Get real! Of course don’t show it. You won’t get hired unless you are being interviewing by another fudgepacker, and there aren’t that many at S&C.

BTW, WTF is a Prince Edward Piercing? Is that on your pecker?

68. Wow on January 31st, 2010 4:43 pm

I’ve read a few article here, and the comments.

I feel so sorry for all of you.

69. Anonymous on January 31st, 2010 5:28 pm

Listen to this Gnome! He needs some woman to comfort him. What a turd!

Meanwhile, where are the new articles? It’s only been 3 months or more? Have the ladies deserted this site? Let’s wheel out some good new articles. This site is getting STANKY.

70. Laurie on February 2nd, 2010 6:13 am

Let’s tell our own jokes while waiting for the Legal Tease to return!!!!

One afternoon, a wealthy lawyer was riding in the back of his limousine when he saw two men eating grass by the road side. He ordered his driver to stop and he got out to investigate.

“Why are you eating grass?” he asked one man.

“We don’t have any money for food,” the poor man replied.

“Oh, come along with me then.”

“But sir, I have a wife with two children!”

“Bring them along! And you, come with us too!” he said to the other man.

“But sir, I have a wife with six children!” the second man answered.

“Bring them as well!”

They all climbed into the car, which was no easy task, even for a car as large as the limo.

Once underway, one of the poor fellows says, “Sir, you are too kind. Thank you for taking all of us with you.”

The lawyer replied, “No problem, the grass at my home is about two feet tall.”

71. Wiga on February 10th, 2010 11:26 pm

This sight is stale. Let’s demand something new or stop visiting it.

72. Susie on February 26th, 2010 1:53 pm

LOL wow that first comment was pretty stupid … so wearing a nose ring makes you a lose slut … riiiight. You guys are funny!

As far as the question goes … I would take out the nose ring out if I were you just because it’s viewed as unprofessional. If it’s just your style then you’re gonna have to deal with it. Try a clear one so it doesn’t close up!

And to all the haters on this post who would probably look retarded with a nose rignt lol, save you’re bullshit and shove it up your nerd ass!!!

Peace :D ( I bet all of you are gonna start hating aren’t you? LMAO)

I’m out.

73. Al on February 27th, 2010 5:51 am

Susie, learn your diction. It’s not “you’re bullshit” but “your bullshit”. Also, while we’re on the topic, you seem to support the claim that women who wear noserings are not particularly bright, and may alsol be loose. If that is the case, I am sure you wish you had kept those knees every time you had more than a few beers. What have you got to show for it now? There you go!

74. Son of Guano on March 1st, 2010 10:52 am

Let’s not forget Stanky. Women with noserings often lose the sense of smell. As such, they do not realize when they get too “fragrant” and need to take a hot bath, bad.

75. Maya on September 10th, 2010 5:21 pm

Wow, you guys are the most shallow people on the planet. No wonder you suit this type of job.
    Yeah, so I understand taking out the nose stud for an interview. Just put it back in afterwards. Piercings don’t define you.
    I have a tiny nose stud. I am not a slut, I am not “loose”, I have wonderful morals. I get decent grades, I’m in college, I’ve traveled to Taiwan as a youth ambassador, and I take 2 showers daily.

You guys are the reasons for so many bad relations considering Americans. Shallow, rude, inconsiderate Americans. People like you make me ashamed to be called American.

76. Anonymous on September 11th, 2010 1:14 am

shut up maya…you make me sick

77. shannon on October 21st, 2010 10:06 am

KEEP IT!! I have my nose pierced also, it’s an intergral part of your body now. In parts on India & the Middle East nose rings are very much a part of being female. It is believed they ease your menstral pain and will become an assest to you during child birth. (kinda like acupuncture)

it’s a part of your face. they wouldn’t disregard u if u had a mole on ur face

78. Singaporegirl on January 5th, 2011 9:03 am

I have a nose piercing and I am a virgin. In some societies, it is culture to pierce one’s nose. Even in the bible it is evident that Abraham’s son Isaac gave his bride Rebecca the nose ring. I believe if it is discreet and classy, then it is acceptable. Working in a law firm is about ability and ethics and being strong-minded enough to stick to your principles. I am a law student too and in your position I would stick to what I believe in. What’s the point of being a perfect-looking but incapable lawyer as opposed to a presentable lawyer with a tiny nose piercing but with loads of ability. Anyway what does a nose piercing have to do with sex? And the people who are against it probably cannot pull it off.

79. Johnny on January 14th, 2011 10:14 pm

You must be the only Wirgin with a nose ring.

Everyone I know with a nosering likes to F*** like a bunny and has very liberal standards as to how they treat their eh-bodies!

God love ‘em!

80. Anonymous on August 26th, 2011 7:15 am

dude she was asking a fcking question some jobs accept nose rins… i have seen judges and cops wit nose piercings

81. anonymous 1212 on September 29th, 2011 3:29 pm

Wow people all she was doing was asking a question about a nose ring. You don’t need to degrade her to feel good about yourself. She asked the question so just write your answer without all the rude comments, like saying she’s a slut or she is stupid for asking. I thought no question is a dumb question, but I guess I was wrong. A nose ring doesn’t make you a slut or a dumb bum it just makes you a person with a nose ring. Can’t people just give their answer nicely and let the girl decide on her own what she wants to do? People make me sick

82. Anonymous on April 30th, 2012 9:11 pm

Yes lose the nose ring. And then contact me so we can bang ferociously throughout the night because you are obviously a loose slut.

83. Sana on August 27th, 2012 10:39 pm

I would tend to disagree that women who are from cultures who wear nose rings don’t work in Biglaw. I had a round of interviews with “Big law” firms where my nose ring was in place. And yes it is part of my culture/heritage. As future lawyers, let’s learn to stop being so bias about other people and their culture.

84. Quinn on February 17th, 2014 11:30 am

Yes – it is a deal breaker. Take it out for the interview slap some coverup over the hole.

85. Tom on March 31st, 2014 10:33 am

If the job is worth a shit they don’t care what you look like. I earn a lot of money (software engineering) and am covered in tattoos and piercings. You know why noone cares? Because I’m good at my job and I don’t work with fucking ass holes