Poor You! (Literally.)

September 23, 2010 by

Picture, if you will, my lawyer friend, Caitlin.  She’s a mid-level finance associate at one of New York’s biggest lawyer factories.  She’s been at the Big Law game long enough to be depressed on the good days and on the hunt for sturdy noose material on the bad days—which is to say most days.  But, as luck would have it, after months of furtive interviews, she finally got an offer a couple of weeks ago to go in house at a media company that most people I know, including me, would kill to work for.  So, when we went out to drinks last week to celebrate, I was expecting her to be ecstatic.  I was expecting her to have quit the firm within five minutes of getting the offer.  What I wasn’t expecting was three hours of listening to her waver, almost to the point of tears, about whether she should take the job.

I kept pressing her—what was it about this job offer that was making her so torn?  The (awesome, non-billable) hours?  The (cooler) people?  The (less mind-numbing) work?  Finally, after four Belvedere-tonics, she leaned across the table and lowered her voice.

“It’s just…I’m just afraid…”  She darted her eyes around and leaned in closer, lowering her eyes.

“I’m just afraid of what it’ll be like to feel…”  she whispered, “…poor.”

The offered salary of the new in-house gig?  $120,000 a year.

And now, a couple of weeks later, I’m still not sure what’s more disturbing: the fact that this friend—a worldly, educated, smart, able person—truly thinks that a single lawyer living in New York City on $120,000 could feel “poor” — or that fact that she’s absolutely right.

Now, if you’ve been spending much time in and around the legal interwebs lately, you’ve heard the controversial argument that earning $250K a year in this country makes you a lot of things—except “rich.” You either agree (Greetings to you, JD/MBA types living in Manhattan, Los Angeles and San Francisco!) or you vehemently, vehemently disagree and think that Elie anyone who thinks otherwise is a naïve, classist prick (Greetings to you…people living everywhere else.)

But the Caitlin question–the $120,000 Question—has nothing to do with the plush, glittering bar that you have to hit on your W-2 to feel rich; it has to do with the scabby, feces-strewn line that you have to stumble across in your mind to feel poor.  And, if you’re a young, professional type living in New York City today making $120,000 or less, you’ve probably got some scab residue on those scuffed shoes, my friend.

Think about it: What does feeling “poor” mean to you?  No, really, before you lunge for my throat, just step back for a second and ask yourself:  What would actually make you feel “poor”?  Worrying about how you’re going to pay your rent?  Living in a small, crappy apartment?  Being a perpetual renter instead of a buyer?  Feeling that you can’t afford to have kids?  Not being able to eat the kind of food you want on a regular basis?  Never taking vacations…at least not ones that involve planes?  Or, to step back even further, would it just be feeling that you can’t keep pace with your friends and neighbors?  Feeling that 90% of the people you come across on a daily basis, no matter what you may have in the bank, are way out of your financial league?

Well, if you’re a single lawyer living in New York City on $120,000 a year, there’s a good chance this describes you to a tee, for better or worse.

Now, fine, let’s clarify a couple of things:  I’m not saying that a person making $120,000 a year in New York is living on the so-called poverty line, collecting food stamps and selling blood and semen to pay for heat.  Living in poverty and feeling poor are not the same thing.  I’m also not saying that if someone who’s now making, say, $12,000 a year, suddenly made ten times that, that they would consider themselves poor.  I’m saying that feeling poor is on par with feeling, say, ugly or untalented: it’s relative.  And egalitarian posturing be damned, the feeling can be justified even when you’re making six figures—especially when you’re living in New York City.

Not convinced?  Let’s look at some actual numbers.

Again, we’re dealing with a single lawyer living in New York City making $120,000.  Let’s get taxes and other payroll-type fun out of the way and you’re bringing home around $5,100 a month in salary.  Now take out about $550 a month for fixed-cost utility-type expenses ($160 a month for cable/internet, $120 for phone(s), $180 for heat/electricity, $90 for a monthly Metrocard).  Now, student loans—because remember, we’re talking about a lawyer here.  Law school ain’t cheap, kids. Let’s use Caitlin as an example: After about three years of Big Law paychecks and paying down as much debt as she could swing every month, she still has about $80,000 of her original $180,000 in loans left to pay off.  Let’s have her keep on paying, say, $1000 a month on that (which, by the way, means she’ll still be on the hook for about the next decade or so).  Now we’ve got about $3,550 a month left to spend on rent, food and…everything else.  And here’s where the “poor” part comes in.

See, being not-homeless in New York City is expensive. Like, $2700 if you want to live by yourself in a semi-decent studio in a semi-decent building in a semi-decent neighborhood expensive—$3200, easy, if you want a small 1-bedroom with the same specs.  Now, please hold your commentary, Guy Who Lives In a Walk-Up Studio In Outer Brooklyn For $750 a Month.  When I say “New York City,” yes, I mean Manhattan.  Why?  Because, even if you won’t admit it to your friends back home in western Ohio, you know it as well as I do:  It’s just better.  It’s the heart of the city, it’s the heart of the action.  It’s why you move to New York.  It’s the fantasy.  And just like no one fantasizes about driving a 1983 Camry when they grow up, no one aspires to live in a tenement in an outer borough.  Now, sure, is the premium you pay to live in the same apartment in Manhattan that you could get in the Bronx for 1/4 the price soul-strangling and ridiculous?  Of course.  Would you still pay it if you could?  Hell, yes.  And that’s the point.  If you could.  Which, unless you have a fabled rent-controlled illegal sublet or  $30–$50 grand a year ready to spend on rent alone, you can’t.  And this “can’t” group includes our girl, Caitlin—who, based on the math in our example, now has the choice between (1) eating every day and living in an overpriced dump in a crappy part of town or (2) not eating every day and living in an overpriced dump in a slightly-less-crappy part of town.  Oh, and in our little hypo, she still hasn’t bought anything yet this month.

And just to drive it home, we have to remember that Caitlin, a finance lawyer, works with Big Law lawyers, bankers and hedge-fund types all day.  Almost all of her friends are Big Law lawyers or bankers or hedge-fund types.  Now, calm down, they’re not the famed super-rich of New York, the Gossip Girls or Bloombergs or anything even near it; but, even the ones who’ve only been working for a few years tend to make $120,000 in a matter of months, if not weeks.  And with the non-existent discretionary income that Caitlin will have left every month in our example so far, she won’t be able to eat at the same restaurants that they do, shop at the same stores, drink at the same bars, share the same social experiences.  After a while, she might even stop hanging out with them, because she’ll be tired of begging off before dinner, tired of being embarrassed that she can’t afford to keep up with them, even once in a while.  Even though she fully knows that she’s a smart, accomplished, self-sufficient person, she might to start to feel like she’s coming up short, financially, compared to 90% of the people she comes into contact with in her life—again, in her life.  At the very least, she might start to feel like she’s in a different financial league than almost everyone she knows.  In other words, she’ll start to feel poor.

Now, is she poor?  Well, not by any national standard, no.  But again, we’re not talking about national standards.  We’re not talking about objective metrics.   We’re not even talking about plain old vanilla envy—of just wishing that you have more than you have because you’ve seen someone else who does (because if we were, I challenge you to find literally one sane person in New York City—hell, in any city—who doesn’t fit that bill).  No, we’re talking about comparing yourself to your peers.  And when you’re a former Big Law lawyer in New York City making $120,000, most of those people will have more money than you do, plain and simple.   That doesn’t mean that you’re a failure, or a loser, or better or worse than them—or even that you’re unhappy.  It just means that you have less money to play with than they do right now.  And sooner or later, unless you’re the least self-aware person on the planet, you’re going to notice it.

So, if you’re reading this and making scads less than Caitlin’s $120,000 but you feel genuinely happy, satisfied and successful with your financial relationship to the world, good for you.  Truly.  You’re luckier than you may realize.  But don’t tear down Caitlin—or anyone else—for having the nerve to confess to feeling “poor,” even if she makes more money than you, or most Americans, will make this year.  That doesn’t make her a horrible person.  Or an idiot.  Or a classist.  That just makes her honest—and hardly alone.

An excerpt of this essay is also being published on everyone’s favorite legal tabloid, Above the Law.  Make sure to check it out here!

Comments

77 Responses to “Poor You! (Literally.)”

1. Anonymous on September 23rd, 2010 9:23 am

Disgusting. If your pride forces you to live in Manhattan, and you feel strained by it, that’s all it is, pride and I have no sympathy. I’m willing to bet all the BigLaw cats that got laid off have a new appreciation for what they had. My advice is for those that feel this way is to go somewhere and “taste desperate”. Then you’ll realize how absurd this is…

2. Anonymous on September 23rd, 2010 9:33 am

Every single number you used for expenses is inflated. I live in Manhattan in a nice neighborhood for $2200/mo, pay about $100 for cable, $120 for electricity and $100 for phone. Suddenly, I’ve just found myself $640 extra dollars in your equation.

Come on.

3. Anonymous on September 23rd, 2010 9:41 am

Anonymous at 9:33 – In other words, you live like you’re poor.

4. Take home pay on September 23rd, 2010 9:49 am

Where do you get $5,100 as the monthly take home pay out of a 120K annual salary? Maybe that estimate is accurate, but PaycheckCity.com suggests it isn’t. PaycheckCity says a single person living in NYC (thus paying city, state, and federal taxes, including Social Security, Medicare, and NY SDI) and earning 120K a year should take home $6,013.35 per month.

Your $5,100 figure yields ~61K in annual take home
    PaycheckCity’s 6K figure yields ~72K in annual take home
    That’s a BIG difference.

5. Anonymous on September 23rd, 2010 9:50 am

Anonymous at 9:41…

9:33 here. Maybe. I certainly don’t feel poor. I have a decent place and I can afford to do the things I want to do. I just feel like the author was exaggerating the numbers a little bit to make a point.

Then again, my parents didn’t make much, so maybe my barometer for “poor” is skewed by my upbringing.

$120,000 in New York is tough. But it isn’t unmanageable and it might be a worthwhile compromise to not work 85 hours a week.

6. Anonymous on September 23rd, 2010 9:57 am

Setting aside the am I poor on 6 figures debate, I don’t think Legal Tease (and Caitlin) are making an appropriate apples-to-apples comparison to firm v. in-house compensation. For instance, better health benefits with lower premiums and, on average, higher employer contributions to retirement plans are “payroll” items should result in a higher-than-expected net. She (they) also fail to take into account stock options/RSUs and bonus plans. I’m willing to bet that bonuses at competitive in-house gigs will likely get you almost to the same level as a firm base salary. And stock options could be a windfall.

7. Anonymous on September 23rd, 2010 9:58 am

I don’t see overwhelming non-discretionary expenses. I see people trying to run in certain circles and making lifestyle choices. There’s lots of us that make friends with regular old “poor” people (like those who live in Brooklyn), and eat at cheap restaurants, even when we make more money than the typical crowd. If you want to run with the rich, then deal with the envy that inevitably follows (regardless of how much you make). Life is so much more than that, but you’ll never understand unless you detach yourself from the downward spiral. There is a joy and satisfaction to life that comes when you set those things aside.

Living the American dream isn’t about driving a new Mercedes and having the house (or apartment) that everyone else envies. Its about having a sense of ownership and self determination over your life. If you, like so many others, let your creditors, and television and magazines tell you what to expect out of life, you will always be disappointed and depressed.

8. Anon on September 23rd, 2010 10:00 am

Agree with Anonymous 9:33. I lived in a very nice neighborhood, convenient to everything, with lots of bars, restaurants, etc., in the area, when I was clerking and making ~$75k. Rent was $2000 (after the recession, it actually got lowered to $1900). Time Warner, Verizon, etc., all have deals on phone + internet; you could easily do both for less than $200, maybe less than $150. The electric bill in my nice 1BR (with brand new kitchen + bath) was less than $100 /month. And, while I was clerking, all of my friends were BigLaw types, and I routinely went out with them.

Look, the median income *in Manhattan* is $70k. If you make 70% *more than the median* I’m hard-pressed to feel sympathetic for you.

If it’s all about “feeling poor”, what about the partners. They “only” make $3-5 million a year, while their investment banker and hedge fund clients make ten times that. Is it acceptable for them to “feel poor” as well because they can’t afford the third house and the private jet? That law firm partner, who makes NINETY PERCENT LESS than her clients, will soon “start to feel like she’s coming up short, financially, compared to 90% of the people she comes into contact with in her life—again, in her life. At the very least, she might start to feel like she’s in a different financial league than almost everyone she knows. In other words, she’ll start to feel poor.”

Pity the poor biglaw partners!

9. AC on September 23rd, 2010 10:31 am

Disgraceful. I am in that EXACT position: $120k salary, $1000 loan payments per month, and live in NYC. So what do I do? I share a Brooklyn apt with roommates. I don’t go out to dinner every night. I try to watch my expenses. I don’t have “peers,” I have “friends.” Some of them make more than me. Some make less. But anyone who compares themselves like that will not be happy no matter how much they make.

10. Ex-Law on September 23rd, 2010 10:39 am

I think this is ridiculous. After being laid off like 1/4 of the rest of the legal population last year, I am now making a full $100,000 less than my big law salary and doing something I like. And yes, I may not be able to eat at the same restaurants with the other big law D-Bags, but you know what? I’m doing something I enjoy and not spending the majority of my youth in a conference room. AND I live in Brooklyn, which, by the way, is EXACTLY where I’ve always lived (biglaw or not) and you couldn’t pay me enough to move back to Manhattan. I think your friend has a very skewed view of society, personally, and would be well advised to get out of her sheltered bubble a bit.

11. Unheeded Prophetess on September 23rd, 2010 10:40 am

I don’t feel sorry for Caitlin AT ALL. I started out in Big Law and was forced to get out of it, and now I’m stuck in this shitty legal market not being able to find a job (like the rest of my law buddies) and am now earning a salary in the low to mid THIRTIES. THAT, dear people, is poor. She’s got money to actually pay bills and pay student loans and doesn’t have to put them in deferrment for the 5th time in a row. Boo hoo, she can’t go to swank restaurants. Comparatively speaking or not, that’s not poor, or feeling poor, or whatever. Sounds like Caitlin needs to grow up and look at the bigger picture out here and thank her lucky stars that she has a job, quit worrying about what other people think or try to keep up, and just be grateful.

12. Lol on September 23rd, 2010 10:45 am

making 120k and living in bk with roommates is shameful. You live like a pauper with fucking roommates? If you aren’t in college, ridiculous.

13. Anon on September 23rd, 2010 11:04 am

Agree with prior posters: if you’re going to write “Let’s look at some actual numbers”, then you (Legal Tease) should confirm that your numbers are actual. They are not.

It is very possible to live quite nicely on that salary in NYC; your friend is an idiot.

14. AC on September 23rd, 2010 11:22 am

By the way, outerboroughs are NYC. I was born and raised in Manhattan, and have lived in both Queens and Brooklyn, and anyone who says the latter two aren’t “really” NYC are pathetic hipster or sex-and-the-city wannabes from flyover states. I don’t come over to your home town and say “oh, this isn’t REALLY Cowtown, whatever the maps say, REAL Cowtown is between Farmville Road and Dairy Queen Avenue.” Don’t come to my city and say the same thing. Freaking tourists.

15. Almostlawyerchica on September 23rd, 2010 11:25 am

I think that a lot of people are missing the author’s point in this article. While I don’t exactly agree with Caitlin’s approach to her “dilemma” I do believe that wealth (or lack thereof) has both an objective and subjective element. The author alludes to this subjective element, where Caitlin perceives herself as poor. I don’t think it is fair to fault her for that. We don’t know her debt situation etc. As for the objective element, obviously to the general public, saying that you are making $120k a year as a single person and are “poor” is going to elicit a lot of outcry and disagreement. Moral of the comment- Caitlin should be entitled to feel poor even though objectively it sounds absurd.

*For the record, I am a law student about to graduate (no job line up yet but I am externing at a real estate litigation firm) and I will have ~$180k of law school debt and I can still appreciate differing perspectives.

16. KJ on September 23rd, 2010 11:27 am

How about some actual real numbers.

Median Household Income in Manhattan: $47,000 a year in 2000 and probably $50k these days.
    Percent of people in Manhattan who make less than 120,000: At least 70% and perhaps as high as 90%.

A nice Manhattan apartment is a luxury item and complaining about living in Manhattan is like calling yourself poor because your Mercedes 7 series payment is taking too much of your income.

It’s fine to be worried about not having enough money to cover one’s chosen lifestyle, but calling yourself not-rich when you make more than 98% of the U.S. (as in Todd Henderson’s case) and calling yourself poor when you make more than 95% of Americans are ludicrous. If these terms are to have any meaning, they need to have meaning.

17. Anon on September 23rd, 2010 11:29 am

It’s a tired response, but this post (and others like it) just broadcast entitlement. Why would one think that living in Manhattan, paying $160 for cable, and eating out often are normal? Because one is an entitled person. Normal, reasonable people recognize that these things are nice luxuries but not something that one is owed. If you choose to live in New York (especially Mahnattan), you’re choosing to accept a lower standard of living. It’ s just that simple. I don’t understand why people expect pity based on their own constraining choices.

18. Anonymous on September 23rd, 2010 11:44 am

She may not be classist but she is a huge whiner. So she can’t go to swanky restaurants or bars? big f-ing deal. To sit around and almost ~cry~ in a time where people do not have many job prospects because you’ll only make 120k, is childish and shows that your friend is completely out of the loop. She must have had everything handed to her and worked hard academically and thus thinks everything else should be easy.

Here’s a great solution: Don’t live in manhattan-not all our childhood fantasies can be fulfilled. Find real friends that won’t judge you for not going to fancy bars. Hire a financial advisor (I’m sure she can afford it!) and learn how to properly manage money so that you don’t ever think 120k is poor.

Seriously, these articles would be laughable if they weren’t so gd annoying.

19. Anon on September 23rd, 2010 11:53 am

11:44 — “Seriously, these articles would be laughable if they weren’t so gd annoying.”

Exactly. Sort of makes you wonder how disconnected from reality most biglaw attorneys are. (Interestingly, these stories always seem to involve junior associates, often with no/few other commitments (single, no kids, etc.) Wonder if that is part of the reason these people have no perspective.

PS, drink well vodka instead of Belvedere and save some money, moron.

20. Anonymous on September 23rd, 2010 12:16 pm

Hmm…. not being able to eat the food you want all the time? Renting instead of buying? Not taking nice vacations? Guess what that’s called? Life.

21. Anonymous on September 23rd, 2010 12:32 pm

This is not the relevant issue. The question I have is whether Caitlin is good looking or just another non-attractive beast.

I would think the latter, given what we’ve seen so far coming out of the big firms.

Post a picture so that we can judge ourselves.

22. Anonymous on September 23rd, 2010 12:54 pm

Aside from having skewed numbers to fit your agenda (tax figures are off, one can live in Manhattan for saner amounts, etc) I’d like to note one thing. Who exactly is the girl comparing herself too? Your fellow associates who are presumably making the same – in which case, how can one feel poor when each makes the same amount? The IB associate you meet at a bar? obviously risk/reward isn’t a factor in this child’s calculation. Does she feel poor because she compares your salary to the partners? the 5th and 6th year associates? This seems the most plausible, but guess what – they put in more time.

I find more and more the young grunts feel that they should be able to work a year and deserve everything their bosses have…It’s ludicrous, stupid, and underlies the very reason the housing bubble occurred.

Here is a novel idea – put your head down and work, don’t complain, and be thankful you have a job. Maybe after you’ve worked for 5-10 years, you can buy a house and start a family like the previous generation.

23. NYC? on September 23rd, 2010 1:17 pm

Is NYC some kind of magical money pit?

I live in another large legal market city, not in fly over country, and people who make 120k can live really well.

Among my friends I probably live by far the best because I have no debt and no kids, but all the rest owe money for school, bad investments, etc, and yet everyone has a nice apt in a good neighborhood, goes out at least once a week, and never really seems to complain about money.

Even the few friends who bought condos seem to be doing pretty well.

I was going to say that I don’t get it. That people struggling on 120k must be financially incompetent, except I’m FAR from savvy. And none of my friends seem to be very clever with money either. So how is it that none of us feel poor or “live” poor? I think the highest earner of all my friends makes around 150k.

NYC must be another planet when it comes to money. That’s the only thing I can think of right now.

24. Anonymous on September 23rd, 2010 1:26 pm

Spoiled Manhattanite. Your fault for living in such a high priced neighborhood. Hell, commute for 2-3 years via long island RR or even, gasp, NJ, and your save enough to pay off loans and build a nest egg.

25. Willie on September 23rd, 2010 1:53 pm

If this oaf-likehorse was pretty, $120K would be plenty, as plenty of would be suitors (boyfriends and others) would be taking her to dinner, shows, and otherwise paying for a chance to get her into the sack.

No, I concur no one decent wants to spend money on her. Not to say they wouldn’t bone her (anyone starts looking good after 3 beers), but I do believe she is heading down the road to be one more unappealing female legal troll in the big apple.

26. Lane on September 23rd, 2010 2:09 pm

Sniff.

Just kidding. Unless you’re the richest person alive, there’s always someone richer than you; if you make a million a year, you’re probably in the kind of society where you know a lot of people who make $10 million a year. And so on with every order of magnitude up or down the scale. Unless you are literally mutlibillionaire rich, you are always going to feel like you can’t have it all, that things are tighter than you want them to be. This is, though, something close to literally deranged once you get to a certain threshold. Why do people with tens of millions in the bank even work, much less billionaires? Almost nobody ever says “you know, I just have all the money and income I need.” Ever. And it strikes me that the rare few who do seem quite happy–whatever that amount they have and make is. It’s your duty, and Caitlin’s, and mine, to learn to feel happy about something other than being retardedly wealthy. If not, you will always be unhappy, and you kind of deserve to be.

For context, I’m a journalist making less than Caitlin in NYC, in one of the nicest Brooklyn neighborhoods, neither Chelsea nor Bed-Stuy. With wife and me together we make about the same as Caitlin. With a kid. Sure, we could feel “poor”. We don’t. Oh, and please keep telling people Manhattan’s where it’s at – that way you won’t ruin Brooklyn.

27. Anonymous on September 23rd, 2010 2:30 pm

well said Lane – my wife and I are in the same situation, money-and-child wise, living in a gorgeous Brooklyn neighborhood with plenty of nearby entertainment, paying for house cleaning and daycare, eating and drinking out semi-regularly (not every night of course but hey, we ARE parents), wearing designer clothes, paying off debt and even saving money.

hell, we even own a car.

as an earlier commenter said, crap like this just broadcasts a distinctly elitist sense of entitlement.

28. Anonymous on September 23rd, 2010 2:38 pm

Just disgusting, thats all

29. Anon on September 23rd, 2010 3:04 pm

“And just like no one fantasizes about driving a 1983 Camry when they grow up, no one aspires to live in a tenement in an outer borough.”

Yes, and then they grow up- when they’re about 7 and realize they’ll never play shortstop for the Yankees. Why are so many smart, educated, sophisticated lawyers still emotional infants?

30. Anonymous on September 23rd, 2010 3:26 pm

Legal Tease, I love reading your posts and think you’re brilliant. I completely agree with you about biglaw salaries and living in NY. Thank you for saying it. Once one acclimates to living within a certain means, it’s very difficult to make so much less money. One has to move apartments and give up a lot of extras – ironically at the same time that she has more time to spend at home and out at restaurants. I sympathize, struggle with the thought of leaving biglaw myself, and make a humble suggestion that Caitlin make this change while she’s young and single before she is saddled with a mortgage, spousal expectations, daycare costs and private school tuition. Then, there’s no more freedom to make such changes. Good luck to her and thanks again for your thoughtful posts.

31. Anonymous on September 23rd, 2010 3:57 pm

You and your friends are single and lonely because you are vapid, shallow, and, last but not least, materialistic.

32. Sad Sack on September 23rd, 2010 4:42 pm

I’m a bit confused about the whole:

“After about three years of Big Law paychecks and paying down as much debt as she could swing every month, she still has about $80,000 of her original $180,000 in loans left to pay off. Let’s have her keep on paying, say, $1000 a month on that (which, by the way, means she’ll still be on the hook for about the next decade or so)”

Um, my loans are amortized for 30 years, and I pay about $1500/month (just went to a graduated system so that will go down to 1300 for right now but then back up to over that in about 10 years, I’m hoping to have at least some of them paid off by then, leaving me more income to devote to the payments, but we’ll see.) My condo is also on a 30 year loan. In fact, my car is on a 5 year loan. So WHY is 10 more years of school loans that big a deal? Solely because it supports the argument the author is trying to make?

Also, I’m 99% sure that paying $1000/month would still be paying more than the minimum payment on $80k of debt. If you can make more than the minimum payment, what’s the problem here?

For everything else about why she “feels” poor, get over it.

I make $73k, take home just over $4k after taxes (Not NYC), health insurance (pretty crappy) and a 1% 401(k) (the smallest possible percentage). I have a $1900/month mortgage, $1500 (hopefully $1300)/month student loans, $400/month car payment. The only time I go out is about once a month for $2 beer pints, and I eat on my employer (and take home leftovers!) as much as possible. My credit cards are pretty high and luckily I have great credit, but I’m telling you, I need my anniversary raise this October…(bonuses are nonexistent).

I would play the lottery, but I can’t afford it…

33. Anonymous on September 23rd, 2010 6:54 pm

Spoiled. Entitled. Pathetic.

34. texasyankee on September 23rd, 2010 8:48 pm

I recently read that a person making $50,000 a year in Houston would need $123,000 to have the same standard of living in New York City. My secretary’s niece won’t graduate from Texas A&M with an accounting degree until next June but she already has a job offer of $54,000. $120,000 sounds like a lot but it isn’t in NYC. You can live a lot better for a lot less in other parts of the country.

35. Bel on September 23rd, 2010 8:51 pm

“I’m saying that feeling poor is on par with feeling, say, ugly or untalented: it’s relative.”

Now that’s a reckless statement. I would say it’s more accurate to say that “feeling poor” is like “feeling fat.”

Of course, it’s relative. But just like, you can’t expect to panic legitimately that at 5’6 and a 120lbs, you’re fat; you can’t expect to call $120,000 in New York, poor.

Yes, those feelings-anxieties even- might be real, but that doesn’t mean that they’re reasonable. Because this article makes “poor” sound like the dark side of the moon; every shameful or less than ideal situation to be whispered over cocktails lumped into one word that has actual meaning for other people.

I mean, it would be great if we really did live in a world where the bottom income bracket’s biggest worry was making sure they could live by themselves in a semi-decent studio in a semi-decent building in a semi-decent neighborhood.

But in YOUR CITY, the space between poor and rich and all the middle ground in between is the difference between being safe and not. Worrying about being evicted or worrying about paying for food, any food.

And underneath the idea that feeling “poor” has nothing to do with poverty is a dangerous condescension for (or ignorance of) people who do live on less than that. People who are actually, indisputably, poor.

36. Ming the Merciless Siamese Cat on September 23rd, 2010 9:55 pm

Almostlawyerchica said: “For the record, I am a law student about to graduate (no job line up yet but I am externing at a real estate litigation firm) and I will have ~$180k of law school debt. . . . ”

Put another way, unless you’re extremely hot, can suck a golf ball through a garden hose, and can therefore find a successful guy willing to take on your $180K debt, you’re fucked.

Actually, you’re fucked either way. Just in a different sense of the word.

37. Anon on September 24th, 2010 12:02 am

Caitlin needs to remember the alternative, staying where she is. In five years odds are good she’ll be in the same firm just more jaded, bitter, and desperate – wondering about missed opportunities. Your health is worth more than money.

38. Anonymous on September 24th, 2010 7:52 am

Will some man please volunteer to stuff his penis into this broad?

That should stop all the whining.

39. Anon Mid-Level on September 24th, 2010 8:44 am

People could write these same sorts of articles without using the terms “poor” or “rich” and they wouldn’t raise an eyebrow. Pick a synonym of poor or rich to use and everyone would agree.

Wealth is relative…income is relative…period. The people who had made six figures who now make mid-thirties because they got laid off feel like this woman is killing it in either job and also feel like they are poor. However, a recent immigrant would love to do the sort of office work for mid-thirties pay. Doesn’t make either person wrong…just shows how things are relative.

The fact we are all going crazy over the use of the word “rich” or “poor” just shows how the politicians have really done a great job to start a class war in America for political gain.

40. Men are not the problem on September 24th, 2010 8:56 am

So two weeks ago you tried to feed us a line of bull about how lawyer girls are so “date-able”, but can’t find dates because men are soooo insecure. Well, well now. Here we are 14ish days later and the truth comes out… It’s YOU not us.

I’m financially successful (almost 2 mil net worth) and wouldn’t date a lawyer gal if you paid me. Seems like most of them aren’t smart enough to realize law school prepares you to be a good lawyer, not a good girlfriend. Seriously if you girls think that 120k is “poor” I can only imagine the kind of vibe you send a guy who *only* makes 110k.

41. Eric on September 24th, 2010 9:39 pm

So, if you’re reading this and making scads less than Caitlin’s $120,000 but you feel genuinely happy, satisfied and successful with your financial relationship to the world, good for you. Truly. You’re luckier than you may realize. But don’t tear down Caitlin—or anyone else—for having the nerve to confess to feeling “poor,” even if she makes more money than you, or most Americans, will make this year. That doesn’t make her a horrible person. Or an idiot. Or a classist. That just makes her honest—and hardly alone.

No, see, that exactly makes her a horrible person, an idiot and a classist, and the fact she’s not unique in being a narcissist who’s out of touch with reality isn’t an excuse for anything. There are millions of very good, very effective, and mostly-happy lawyers who go to less-expensive law schools and get work in less-pricey towns and do some good for their clients. And I don’t want to knock “big-law” lawyers (is that what you kids are calling it now?) or set up some false-dichotomy-moral-choice thing, but that includes a lot of public-sector lawyers working in DA offices, PD offices, social-services, etc. who are unlikely to see $120k/annum at any point in their entire careers and yet somehow manage to not whine too much and certainly maintain some perspective about what it actually means to be genuinely, truly, wretchedly poor.

Your friend may be a sweet, personable, charming young lady. But y’know what? The first step in making sure people don’t mistake you for a whiny, spoiled brat is not sounding and acting like a whiny, spoiled brat.

I feel obligated, somehow, to add that this story makes you sound like a lousy friend, or (at the very least) someone who has poor choice in friends. I don’t know if I could put up with “Caitlin” for more than fifteen minutes, frankly. But assuming you actually see some potential in the girl, perhaps you should have pointed out that in the current field, with law schools over-accepting and over-graduating students while firms are slash-and-burning their payrolls, turning our profession into a killing field, she’s lucky she’s getting a six-figure job offer anywhere, as opposed to having to hang out a shingle and praying somebody likes her Real Yellow Pages (TM) ad more than the five-hundred-and-ninty-five nearly identical ones in the same chunk of phone book.

Oh, and one last thing: I don’t live in New York so I can’t vouch for the cost of living, but my non-lawyer, public-sector, Master’s degree-bearing little sister lives in Brooklyn on a lot less than six figs. No pricey law loans, ’tis true, but I suspect the real issue is that she does a better job living within her means so the point stands.

Cheers and good luck to you and your little buddy up there.

42. sartpe on September 24th, 2010 9:51 pm

your $3200 a month apartment will be a wise investment that you will look back on fondly for your entire life. sure, you could have bought a house with that $, but it was absolutely worth it to save 5 minutes on your commute and live in a building flanked by 3 starbucks. the outer boroughs are scary places filled with immigrants and hipsters and violence. avoid them at all costs.

43. Anonymous on September 25th, 2010 12:21 am

Eric: “I don’t live in New York so I can’t vouch for the cost of living, but my non-lawyer, public-sector, Master’s degree-bearing little sister lives in Brooklyn…No pricey law loans….”

In other words, your point of view is actually irrelevant for purposes of this blog post. But I’m sure your secretary/retail/waiter sister’s studio in Brooklyn is a-dorable!

44. Anonymous on September 25th, 2010 1:27 am

Sorry. No.

IF you feel you NEED to live in Manhattan, in a high rise, in a luxury apartment, then perhaps you will pay the 2700. You are about 20-25% high on your fixed expenses as well.

How do I know? I’m in the Bronx. 3 bedroom apartment, heat included, tree lined street, half a block from a large park, 2 blocks from a bus line (or 10 minute walk THROUGH the park to the subway #1 line) for under 2K.

Cry me a river.

She has to decide what matters to her. A job that she will probably love, and finding nice digs elsewhere in NYC but not Manhattan, and giving up the brand new high rise luxury apartment with the name dropping location. Or keep the apartment, whose location she can name drop, and kill herself with a job she despises.

And to ‘name drop’ I’m in Riverdale. Very pretty area, between the Henry Hudson Parkway and the Major Deegan, lots of parks and trees, You can get almost anything you need ‘quickly’ within a 3 block radius. And an easy ‘commute’ via public to get downtown.

45. Harry on September 25th, 2010 6:13 am

Note: I am a new male lawyer in NY, am somewhat attractive, maybe a little overweight (5′ 10″ 205 lbs) making decent buckaroos, and not afraid of females that are making big buckaroos, more than me or less than me.

I enjoy conventional sex, conversation afterward and football on TV. Are there any half way decent female lawyers interested in getting together?

46. 300baud on September 25th, 2010 10:29 am

Please tell me that you changed Caitlin’s name. She at least had the sense to whisper something that idiotic. It’d be a shame if you ended up humiliating somebody with at least the potential to act like a human being just because you aren’t very good at anonymizing things.

47. Lucy Kemnitzer on September 25th, 2010 12:09 pm

I don’t live in Manhattan, but the town I live in regulary hits near the top of the least-affordable communities: because the rents and house prices are really, really high (as are gasoline prices and most consumer goods), while the wages are really, really, really low.

I’ve put decades into my profession (graduate school included) and I make less than $25K a year.

I’m not poor in my community. I mean I make a lot more than a lot of other people do. I’m actually quite lucky as my housing costs are decades behind the times: single rooms in crowded old houses are going for a thousand a month. Which, in actual numbers, would mean that I could live like that, and after taxes, have about six hundred a month, or less, to spend on everything else.

So there’s a bit of real-world persepective for you.

48. Anonymous on September 25th, 2010 12:15 pm

This is some of the most asinine shit I’ve ever read in my life. The sense of entitlement in this country is astounding.

I graduated college in 2003 (thankfully with no debt) and got married to my wife, who did have some debt, since she went to a private school on mostly scholarships. The job market then was awful, and I got exactly one job offer, which I took, for $39k/year in Fairfax, VA just outside of DC. My wife got a stipend of $20k or so from graduate school at Johns Hopkins.

The DC metro area is not Manhattan, but it is not cheap, either. We ended up living in far northern Silver Spring (read: not the nice city area) in a bad neighborhood because it was the only place we could afford and still be able to get to our respective employers. The police were on our street on an almost daily basis for some incident or other. Our neighbors were on unemployment and food stamps. We kept our crappy cars from college because we couldn’t afford to get anything else. And you know what?

WE DID NOT FEEL POOR.

And we had no right to. We went to college and graduated! We had food on our table every night and a roof over our heads! We had TWO cars, crappy as they were. We were able to afford cable television and internet and crappy cell phones, NONE of which are required to live, much as the ignorant yuppies would like to tell you otherwise. These are LUXURIES, goddammit. We even had some health and dental insurance.

You and your friend make me sick. I would NEVER have had the gall to say that I felt poor, and by your logic I had every right to?

Wake the fuck up.

49. anon. on September 25th, 2010 12:29 pm

Caitlin did not write this article. And she clearly was embarrassed by what she told this writer because it is ridiculous. Caitlin should have wrote this article herself got paid 1 dollar a word and ta da extra 1000 in her budget of already more than enough money. Hey Caitlins friend, are you gonna hook her up with at least 20% ?

anyone who moves to nyc to live in a building that no one from nyc would ever live in is actually just living in a grown up dormitory. fantasy is no where near as good as real life.

50. William on September 25th, 2010 12:30 pm

I agree. These entitled career girls all need a good old fashioned West Virginia boning to get them back into line.

Take em down there, give em each a little moonshine, then give their snaches a workin out that will keep them pussies purring.

51. jane on September 25th, 2010 7:09 pm

Cry me a fuckin’ river.

Tell your friend (and you might as well tag along) to visit a third-world country (go off the beaten path–ie, stay away from touristy areas). Come back and see if she’s still feeling poor. Actually, don’t even bother crossing an ocean. Just go down to some parts of the Deep South.

52. t_lhrh on September 25th, 2010 10:44 pm

Yes, I will echo the sentiments of a lot of posters here: disgusting. What is wrong with you and your friends? The thing that pisses me off more than anything else about these articles is that there is little to no trace of self-awareness concerning the general economic situation from these authors and their ilk. Sure they toss a sentence here and there so that the anger their solipsism inflames in us level-headed types is assuaged a bit. But then they go back to their navel-gazing concerns that are quite out of touch with the real problems facing most other people, especially in this terrible economy.

Elie and this blogger make the horrendously illogical premise that the prices they obsess about are to be taken as a given, that these are the prices everyone faces in Manhattan, and that one doesn’t have a choice about these at all. But they’re patently and absurdly wrong. Someone lower down the thread mentioned it perfectly: she lives in Manhattan in a small studio and in a nice neighborhood and pays $654/month in expenses less than what the original blogger bloviated on about as insurmountable obstacles. That discrepancy in expectations right there is pathetic.

The second, very incorrect premise is that the only people you ever want to compare yourself to in New York are bankers and big law types. That’s the biggest piece of bull I’ve ever heard. There are people just as educated and just as worldly in Manhattan who are not bankers or big law types, and whose daily existence is even less extravagant than what can be gotten for $120K a year. Hang out with those people! Then your materialistic and shallow ass will feel so much better because you’re relatively better off than most of the people in your social circle! Voila, problem solved! An added bonus to doing this: your social life will, I guarantee, be leagues more interesting than if you just hung out with dried-out, one-dimensional bankers and lawyers.

53. Phillipe on September 26th, 2010 7:19 am

I personally would not make love to either of these two dames.

Women should be soft and feminine.

My guess is that they would be whining about something before, during and after sex, instead of focusing on the act itself, and pleasing their partner.

What kind of experience do they expect we think we will have with this type of behaviour?

Which leads me to my perennial comment when I am having sex:

“Shut your mouth and open your mouth!”

54. Dan on September 27th, 2010 8:50 am

This blog post is completely off base. I’m actually going to save it to show just how horrible educated and successful young people can be when it comes to budgeting and planning. $120K makes you feel “poor”!!!???

First, your breakdown of the numbers is all wrong. Even a single person is probably taking home at least 65% of that figure, which equals $6,500 per month in disposable income.

Let’s say that this person has a HUGE student loan bill, like I do. $6,500 minus $1K/mo. equals $5,500.

If you don’t want to save/spend a decent amount, you shouldn’t spend more than $1,800/mo. on rent, preferably $1,500. And this is perfectly reasonable! You need to spend $3K/mo. on an apt.???!!!

I found these in about 30sec. on Craigslist:
    Here is a nice studio in the W. 70′s for $1550 http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/fee/1975647738.html
    Fully renovated 1BR on UES for $1,650 http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/fee/1975633921.html

So when you say that you need to spend $3K/mo., what you are saying is that you want to live in a top-of-the-line, fully renovated, high end apt.

Alternatively, you could spend the SAME AMOUNT and BUY an apt. for $325K, if you saved a little down payment. For example, this lovely renovated unit on the UES: http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/reb/1975651827.html

OK, so now you’re spending let’s say $1800 per month on housing, which leaves you $3,700. Phone, internet and cable really shouldn’t cost you more than $200, which is what I pay. Take out another $200 for other utilities and $100 on transportation (no cars for Manhattan folks), and you got $3,200/mo. to spend on whatever you want, or save.

$3,200 is a lot of money to spend each month on your food and all non-essentials. Certainly, it is enough to feel “rich” enough that you don’t feel “poor.”

Here is your budget. I invested about 10min. doing it for you. Your problem is now solved. It is crazy that someone so educated was not able to do this on her own. But it goes to show you that a complete lack of planning and budgeting makes someone who has plenty of spare cash into a person who suddenly feels “poor.”

Good luck!

55. Every Six Minutes on September 27th, 2010 10:24 am

Well said, Anonymous on September 23rd, 2010 3:26 pm!

Money was a topic I struggled with the most when I quit BigLaw. people have different financial situations and relationships to money and are going to react differently to it. Perspectives on money can change over time. Once-luxurious goods can quickly be taken for granted as ordinary necessities.

The comments here about Caitlin are overly harsh.

56. Anne on September 27th, 2010 11:09 am

OH, PLEASE. You and your privileged friends wouldn’t know poor if it introduced itself to you and handed you a business card. If your dingbat moron of a friend chooses to keep working a soul-killing job so that she doesn’t have to figure out how to manage her finances or stop living profligately, then she deserves what she gets. You whiny-assed, clueless people make me sick.

57. Michael on September 27th, 2010 11:46 am

What a horrible, classist idiot.

There is a little thing called a Train that can magically whisk you away to a little place called the suburbs. Here you can live like a the actual rich person you are instead of throwing your money down the toilet on the prestige of living in the oh so haloed Manhattan.

When you can afford to make choices about your life you are not poor.

58. Al on September 27th, 2010 2:09 pm

The girl is maybe a little hyper and needs to read these posts to sort things out.

59. njmndjnv on September 28th, 2010 6:01 pm

Move to the burbs

60. JHW on September 29th, 2010 11:38 am

As a born and bred Manhattanite whose parents made well under $250K, all I can say is that your friend is an idiot.

61. Anonymous on September 29th, 2010 1:01 pm

Unfortunately, after reading this… I’m glad this Caitlin person is unhappy. If you’re making 120k and can still feel like you’re relatively poor, or whatever the dodge being presented here is, good. You’re getting exactly what you signed up for – a lifestyle that revolves around greed. Not to chuck morals around, but she’s basically selecting to be unhappy here, it’s not being imposed upon her. Sorry.

62. tony on September 29th, 2010 2:44 pm

Great article. It exactly describes the situation I faced when i quit the law firm and took a government job in DC. You’ll absolutely have to make some adjustments, but you can do it and feel happy (when you don’t have big unexpected expenses).

63. Gabe on September 30th, 2010 5:12 pm

I left what is now considered “Big Law” in 1989 because the economics are wrong and this blog confirms it. It is not about your salary but about building your net woth. I moved to the business side of the world in a non-law job and focused on building shareholder value, not my salary. The value of my equity based compensation is not tied to how many hours I work, but how effective I am at increasing the value of the company. Sometimes it doesn’t work out, but on balance it has worked out more often than not and life has been much more enjoyable. We just completed an acquistion that will create 25 millionaires and after noting that an email from out outside counsel arrived in the middle of the night – again, my CFO wondered aloud why people would choose this line of work. I agreed….

64. Lucy on October 17th, 2010 7:27 pm

I realize that I’m coming (very) late to the discussion, but I’m finding it impossible to keep quiet here. My partner and I met in a top-20 law school, both graduated with honors in 2009, both passed the bar, and both took short-term public interest fellowships because jobs were so scarce. Well, our fellowships have ended, and jobs are still scarce.

I’m in retail making $10/hr, and he’s working two jobs: days as a paralegal, and nights as a waiter. We live in a cheap apartment, eat in, and pay off debt as best as we can, and guess what? LIFE IS GOOD. The only time we really feel poor is when one of us has to go to the doctor, and we wonder how we’re going to pay for it. We can’t go out with our friends, but we can and do have them over for home-cooked meals. I wouldn’t trade places with Caitlin for anything!

65. Bake on October 21st, 2010 11:01 am

You know, it’s one thing to present some observations about how people assess their own income and status relative to that of their peers. That’s not a concept that people generally find difficult to accept, whether they make $120k or $12k or anything in between. And if that’s all you were doing, Legal Tease, I think your article wouldn’t have gotten as intensely negative a response from so many commenters.

It’s completely another thing to present those observations about the subjective nature of self-assessment as though they’re at all relevant to whether your friend, and those who feel as she does, are truly entitled, selfish or lacking in perspective (all of which are implied by “classist”). To be sure, her environment, the company she keeps, and her lack of a broader perspective are all understandable *reasons* for her to feel the way she does. Which is to say, we understand that there’s a causal relationship (to some degree) between the reasons and the result.

But a *reason* is not, and has never been, the same as an excuse. Recognizing WHY she feels the way she does is an important step in our understanding her emotions, but until she herself gains an appreciation for WHY she feels this way, she remains entitled, selfish and lacking in perspective; she remains “classist”. Yes, there are those who will call her horrible, idiotic, etc. — those insults are undeserved. But can’t I use the same type of argument to explain to you WHY those hurling insults feel the way they do? And would that make their positions reasonable, or merely understandable?

The fact that someone truly believes certain expenses, luxuries and quality of life are reasonable baselines does not make them reasonable baselines. The fact that their belief is understandable likewise does not make it reasonable. The fact that those hurling insults have an understandable passionate anger which drives them to hurl insults doesn’t make what they say reasonable. In this midst of all these understandable, unreasonable positions, an objective assessment from a sociological, psychological and economic perspective must still conclude that your friend is entitled, selfish, lacking in perspective; her feelings and her behavior are “classist”. This may be seen as an insult but really, it’s a relatively mechanical assessment and not at all a condemnation on a personal level. If she can accept that “classist” is something associated with her approach, her behaviors, her ideology — if she can accept that it is NOT associated with her person, or whether she is “good” or “bad” — then she may find it a lot easier to deal with her fear of earning so much less money than she has come to believe is necessary.

Finally, I would ask that you understand us in the way you want us to understand your friend. Yes, we are angry and passionate. You would be, too, if our situations were reversed. It’s easy to feel as though you understand a situation you’ve seen on TV or heard about on NPR. But nothing compares to experiencing it yourself, not even in the slightest. When you understand where our anger and our passion come from, I hope you might regret having addressed it as nothing more than mean-spiritedness.

66. Emily Thomas on October 22nd, 2010 12:03 am

This shit is dumb.

Talk about money management skills that need to be reconsidered. I make Around $7000 a year, share a 2-bedroom apartment with a roommate, and manage to pay for gas and car insurance on top of cable, electric, water, food, and rent.

Let me know when you snap back to reality, new-to-life.

67. Anonymous on October 22nd, 2010 7:18 am

No it is not dum, Emily. A woman needs money to pay the bills as well as to look and smell clean and fresh.

If I go out with a woman, I want to know that she is well taken care of. The last thing any of needs is to get gassed out as we prepare for romance.

68. Bake on October 23rd, 2010 10:39 am

Oh, and I have one more thing to say. The sexist douchebaggery that’s been rampant in these comments is miles more obnoxious than a story about someone who hasn’t come to terms with their own entitlement. At least “Caitlin” has a legitimate reason to be clueless. The people suggesting it has anything to do with the fact that she’s a woman need to take a long walk off a short pier.

69. Anonymous on October 27th, 2010 12:27 pm

whatever haters. this article was totally accurate.

70. quinny kinderwagen on December 4th, 2010 1:12 pm

Hello. Fantastic position. I did not anticipate this on a Wednesday. This is a fantastic story. Thanks!

71. Anonymous on December 5th, 2010 10:50 pm

Let’s get some fresh material here. Enough with this stale crap! Fresh material, NOW! Get these broads to put a dime in between their knees and write something new.

72. RE big law guy on February 15th, 2011 10:57 am

I totally agree with this post. I make just over 200 and i feel poor. All my friends from undergrad (graduated from an ivy in 2002) caught the finance wave and work at banks and pe firms in the city. I had zero debt because my parents paid for school and I went straight into big law at a good firm, but I still cant even afford to go out and party with these guys on a regular basis. My hours are a lot better though (only 80, instead of 100 hours per week).

One of my friends who works at a HF just bought an apartment in manhattan in cash last year. No mortgage.

73. GT66 on March 13th, 2011 10:28 pm

Lady, you and your friend sound like over-bearing, self-important, pretentious, pampered bores. Please stay married to your jobs and save us the exposure to your *tragic* lives.

74. jack on March 14th, 2011 4:20 am

Very tragic.

I’m sure even multi-millionaires feel poor around their billionaire buddies.

Was life on earth created solely for entitled American Women to have luxuries?

Perhaps occasionally “feeling” poor would be an excellent opportunity to remind oneself about the truly poor. Think of it as a character building exercise. You are not the center of the universe.

75. DB on March 16th, 2011 6:32 am

Dudes, all broads always want to be pampered, and if a broad has a law degree and does not look like a bull moose, she thinks she is Gizzelle Bunchen.

What these educated broads need to know is that guys don’t care about their law degree. Men don’t want loud, brassy broads. They want a broad that knows when to shut their mouth, and when to open their mouth (and not to talk).

Once these broads figure that out, they won’t be roaming around in packs looking for men to pay attention to them and their law degrees.

76. Anonymous on January 12th, 2014 1:21 pm

I earn less than most of my friends, and I often feel quite a bit wealthier – because I have much more time, and that is true wealth to me.

77. Anonymous on January 12th, 2014 1:39 pm

Also fuckin hilarious trolls.

“Will some man please volunteer to stuff his penis into this broad? That should stop all the whining.”
    “These entitled career girls all need a good old fashioned West Virginia boning to get them back into line.”
    “Women should be soft and feminine. I fear that both of these 2 self-absorbed materialistic beeotches would not be very appreciative of what I have to offer them.”
    “A woman needs money to pay the bills as well as to look and smell clean and fresh.”
    “Get these broads to put a dime in between their knees and write something new.”
    “Men don’t want loud, brassy broads. They want a broad that knows when to shut their mouth, and when to open their mouth (and not to talk).”

Lol, what time machine did you all come out of?